- GROUP 1: Service-connected conditions rated 50 percent or more disabling.
- GROUP 2: Service-connected conditions rated 30 to 40 percent or more disabling.
- GROUP 3: Former prisoners of war, awarded the Purple Heart, service-connected conditions rated 10 or 20 percent disabling, discharged from active duty for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty or awarded special eligibility classification.
- GROUP 4: Receiving aid and attendance or housebound benefits or determined by the VA to be catastrophically disabled.
- Group 5: Nonservice-connected with income and net worth below the established dollar threshold, or zero percent service-connected with income and net worth below the established dollar threshold.
- GROUP 6: All other eligible veterans who are not required to make a copayment for their medical care. Those include World War I and Mexican Border War veterans; veterans solely seeking care for disorders associated with exposure to a toxic substance, radiation or for disorders associated with service in the Gulf War, or for any illness associated with service in combat in a war after the Gulf War or during a period of hostility after Nov. 11, 1998; and compensable zero percent service-connected veterans.
- GROUP 7: Nonservice-connected and zero percent non-compensable service-connected with income and net worth above the established threshold and agree to pay specified co-payments.