Despite temperatures staying below the freezing mark, the 14th annual Macy’s Parade of Lights lit up Main and Alder streets on Saturday night. More than 50 entries were cheered on by crowds, said Jennifer Northham, event manager for the Downtown Walla Walla Foundation.
A panel of judges awarded trophies in seven categories and a grand prize to the best lighted float.
The 2009 float winners are as follows:
- Best civic or neighborhood: J.U.G.S., or Just Us Girls Serving
- Best grade-school: Katelyn Hassler
- Best collegiate: Walla Walla Community College welding class
- Best commercial: Birch Creek Plant Factory
- Best high school: Lincoln Alternative High School
- Best religious: Walla Walla City Church
- Best municipal: Walla Walla County Fire District No.4
- Best lighted float overall: Birch Creek Plant Factory.