Tourism Walla Walla has awarded $12,000 to a variety of organizations for events expected to draw visitors to the Walla Walla Valley in 2010.
The funds are considered "matching" grants intended to support tourism projects with regional long-term benefits to the community.
The recipients, their respective grants and their projects are:
- The Walla Walla Valley Wine Alliance, $3,000 for new rack cards.
- The Downtown Walla Walla Foundation, $2,000 for support of Wheelin' Walla Walla Weekend and Feast Walla Walla.
- Shakespeare Uncorked, $2,000.
- The Walla Walla Chamber Music Festival, $1,500.
- The Walla Walla Bed amp; Breakfast Inns Association, $1,500 for support of Gourmet Getaways.
- The Kirkman House Museum, $1,000 for support of the Sweet Home Walla Walla historic homes tour.
- Daily Market Cooperative, $500 for support of the Walla Walla Valley farm map.
- Gran Fondo, $500.
Organizations were invited to apply for the grant funds earlier this year. Tourism Walla Walla, the tourism promotional agency for the Walla Walla Valley, gives priority to projects that increase overnight visitation to the Valley, increase off-season tourism, encourage cooperative partnerships between local organizations, are located within an area that financially supports Tourism Walla Walla and establish clear, meaningful and measurable results.