Whitman avenges 2-1 loss to Loggers with 0-0 tie

The Missionary men pick up a point after playing the Loggers for 110 minutes of scoreless soccer.



Whitman goal keeper Devin Kuh keeps his cool under pressure from Puget Sound's Cole Peterson to block the shot during first-half play Saturday.

WALLA WALLA – Senior recognition Saturday ended in a 0-0 tie as Whitman and University of Puget Sound battled here for 110 minutes in Northwest Conference men’s soccer action.

"At least a point (for a tie) is good," Missionary coach Mike Washington. "Neither side created many clear cut chances, and that’s always disappointing. The boys worked hard. That’s something we’ve not been doing — work through the whole game."

The Missionaries recognized seniors Jasper Lipton, Todd Wallenius, and Jerreh Badjie in pre-game ceremonies and took some momentum into the match.

Whitman controlled the tempo for the first six minutes, but never got a real good look at the goal. Jed Jacobson took a feed from Beau Morton and fired wide left in the first minute. Whitman earned a corner kick in the fourth minute and Jacobson’s corner found Sam Freedman, but Freedman’s blast was blocked in front by the Logger defense.

Puget Sound withstood the initial Missionary charge, and Cole Peterson’s header in the seventh minute was caught by Whitman goalie Devin Kuh for his first of four saves in the half.

Whitman’s Jasper Lipton’s blast in the 11th minute, went high from 15 yards. In the 17th minute, Freedman rolled a heel pass from Wallenius barely wide left.

In the 28th minute, Jacobson took a long ball from Lipton, got it to Morton in front of the UPS net, and Morton couldn’t convert as his shot went over the top.

The Whitman defense kept the Loggers away in the second 45 minutes as Kuh did not need to record a save.

Logger goalie Chris McDonald was challenged, however. A Jacobson blast in the 60th minute was knocked away by a diving McDonald. After a UPS foul in the 68th minute, Jacobson lined up a direct kick from 25 yards out and blasted a shot right on. McDonald got just enough to tip the shot over the top.

Puget Sound found the back of the net following a flurry in front of the Missionary goal in the last 10 seconds of regulation. Chris Shaw kicked a shot into the lower left corner, but it was a second too late, as regulation ended 0-0.

Whitman outshot UPS 4-1 in the first overtime, but none of those were serious looks.

Kuh had to come up big in the Whitman goal to preserve the tie in the second overtime. In the 103rd minute, Peterson fired a cross to Zach Semago. Semago got up and headed the ball toward the lower left corner, but Kuh stuck out his left arm and knocked the shot away.

Brian Percival and Jacobson led the Whitman offense with four shots each, including two each on goal. Defenders John Fleming, Jamie Muldoon and Cooper Crosby led a defense that only allowed 12 Logger shots on the day.

"We moved Jed (Jacobson) from the back to forward a little more and he got involved a little bit which was pleasing," Washington said. "Defensively, our back four did really well."

The tie runs Whitman to 2-4-2 in NWC play.

"We lost to them down there 2-1," Washington said. "They normally try to play a lot longer and stretch you out. They tried to play today, and we could play with that as we are not very good when teams lump it down the field and chase it. We did a good team job today."

The Missionaries host Pacific Lutheran today at 2:30 p.m.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in