Pomeroy School District Board members are Paul Ruark, Lori Slaybaugh, Steve Carlson, Bart Gingerich, and Ed Sullivan. With all present Thursday the board:
- MODERNIZATION: The Junior-Senior High School modernization project architect was on campus Wednesday and will meet with staff Friday to begin working on education specifications.
- BOND: Learned bonds to finance the modernization project will be sold April 21 by Seattle Northwest bond company. The sale will be advertised April 14 in the East Washingtonian newspaper. The board will pass a resolution to sell the bonds at the April 21 board meeting.
- PROJECT MANAGER: Established a committee to review project manager qualifications. A manager will be selected April 21. There were 22 inquiries, six applications, and of those three visited the school. Those three were chosen as finalists. They are CMSI, based in Puyalllup, Construction Services Group, a cooperative from ESD 112 (Vancouver), and Roen Associates of Spokane.
- ENROLLMENT: Learned enrollment average is now 319 full time equivalent, down from a high average of 323 FTE. The budget is based on 285 FTE.
- STAFFING: Heard report from Superintendent Kim Spacek regarding a specialty schedule for the elementary school. The report demonstrated how the schedule would affect sixth grade. Also learned there may 17 children enter kindergarten in the fall. Learned four candidates will be interviewed Tuesday for the business and marketing teacher for grades 7-12. The position is for 2010-2011 school year.
- BUDGET: Discussed budget for 2010-2011. Spacek presented a spreadsheet showing priorities based on feedback he got from staff and school board. The board will probably consider finalizing priorities at the next meeting.
- CLASSIFED STAFF: Prepared the board to look at evaluation procedures for classified staff. Also discussed change in para professional status. Instead of several employment steps, there will be two, depending on skill level.
- CONTRACTS: Signed contracts with Jim Greene, golf coach and Brian Koller, assistant softball coach.
- CLOSED SESSION: No action was taken following an executive session to discuss personnel.