Lenore Stone


May 24, 1922 - March 30, 2010

Lenore Grace Russell Stone was born in Huntington Park, Calif., on May 24, 1922, to Elsa (Elsie) Minna Matilda Winneg Russell and Harrison (Harry) Morton Russell. Her parents were in Calif. managing a farm at the time. They subsequently returned to Benton City. Elsie had moved to the United States with her family in 1907, at the age of six. Harrison was raised in Calif, and met Elsie in following his military service in World War I. Lenore was the second daughter born to Elsie and Harry. Her sisters are Etta (Stone), now deceased, Merle Clifford now of Midlothian, Tx, and Joyce (Selzler), now deceased. Lenore passed away Tuesday, March 30 in Walla Walla, Wa., of congestive heart failure.

As a child, she and her sisters enjoyed camping and travel. She met Wayne Stone in Benton City and they were married Feb. 23, 1941. Coincidentally, her sister Etta had previously married Wayne's brother James. This would later result in a set of "double" cousins. During World War II, Wayne and Lenore traveled around the U.S. as Wayne served in the Army Air Corps. Following WW II, Wayne and Lenore contemplated a move to Brazil, where Wayne had been offered a job training pilots. Instead, they returned to Washington where Wayne eventually found a job at the Hanford atomic energy project.

After living for a short time in Richland, they moved to Benton City to be closer to their families and to provide more room for their growing family. She and Wayne lived in Benton City until 1985. They maintained a small farm while Wayne worked as a meteorologist in the Hanford area. Lenore loved her flower garden and maintained an extensive vegetable garden as well. She brought home distressed plants from the bargain table and giving them a chance in her many garden areas. They lived between, and thus next door to, their respective parents. As the parents aged, Lenore and Wayne cared for them and took care of their small farms, as well as their own. Lenore loved seeing and hearing about her children and grandchildren. She was a great cook and loved trying and sharing recipes. She was an avid reader, instilling the same love of books and knowledge in her children. For many years, she hosted the monthly visit of the rural bookmobile, providing a welcome rest stop for the mobile librarians and an opportunity for neighbors to check out books.

Lenore loved to travel and see new places and things. While son Curtis was overseas, she and Wayne traveled to Ireland, Korea, Germany and the Philippines. They also took a cruise to Alaska. Lenore was active in the Highland Ladies club--a lively group that both provided fun and entertainment for its members as well as social contact and intellectual stimulation. She served for years as a Den Mother for the Cub Scouts and found time to teach Sunday school at the Methodist Church. In 1985, after Wayne's retirement, they sold their home and moved to Walla Walla. In 2002, they moved into the Walla Walla Odd Fellows home. Wayne died of cancer in Dec. 2002.

Lenore is survived by her sister Merle Clifford, her daughter, Barbara Stone, her sons Curtis and Roger, and grandchildren Evan Herbison, Aaron Stone, Laura Stone Baker, David Stone, Joy Stone Fletcher, Matthew Stone and Daniel Stone. There will be a small reception celebrating Lenore's life at the Benton City Methodist Church Saturday, April 17, from 2-5 p.m..
In lieu of flowers, Lenore's family invites you to make a donation to your local Hospice organization, to the Walla Walla Odd Fellows home or to a charity that provides walkers or wheelchairs for senior citizens who need them.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment