Trial dates set for men in robberies outside Burbank store

Samuel Barrera and Jacob J. Munoz are accused of robbing two men outside the Sun Mart in Burbank.

Advertisement

WALLA WALLA -- Trial dates have been set for two men accused of robbing two customers outside a convenience store in Burbank last summer.

Samuel Barrera, 23, of Prosser, is set for trial Jan. 6 and 7 in Walla Walla County Superior Court. Co-defendant Jacob J. Munoz, 23, of Pasco, is scheduled to face a jury Jan. 12 and 13. Each previously pleaded innocent to two counts of first-degree robbery.

Officials said the holdups in Burbank occurred about 12:30 a.m. June 30 when a man later identified as Barrera approached the victims, Richard Lybbert and Shelton Gilley, who were standing next to a gas pump outside the Sun Mart store at 35 Apple Lane.

Barrera allegedly placed what looked like a pistol against Lybbert's neck, demanded his wallet and grabbed it. Barrera then turned the gun toward Gilley and collected a couple of dollars in change that Gilley dropped to the ground, according to authorities. The robber ran around the south corner of the store and the victims told the clerk to call 911.

Lybbert told officials his wallet contained miscellaneous items, including $4 and a credit card. The card was found in a pocket of Munoz's pants after the suspects were apprehended that evening in Benton County following a pursuit of a vehicle they were in, according to a Walla Walla County Sheriff's Office report filed in court.

Officials also allegedly located two realistic-looking toy pistols in the vehicle.

The report says Lybbert and Gilley positively identified Barrera in a photo montage as the man who robbed them.

Terry McConn can be reached at terrymcconn@wwub.com or 526-8319.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment