Walla Walla house fire blamed on family cat

Advertisement

photo

City of Walla Walla firefighters work to extinguish a smoldering structure fire at the corner of South Second Avenue and Eagan Street Tuesday morning.

photo

Kristine Hunziker holds her son Michael Chacon, 2, on top of her shoulders to see over the nieghbor's fence as firefighters work to extinguish a house fire along South Second Avenue at Eagan Street.

WALLA WALLA -- A house fire Tuesday morning was likely caused by a pet, officials said today.

Firefighters from the city of Walla Walla and Fire District 4 responded about 11 a.m. to a single-family stucco home at 429 S. Second Ave., said city fire Capt. Greg Van Donge.

Three engines responded and the fire was quickly contained to a back bedroom. The incident caused about $20,000 in structure damage and about $25,000 damage to the home's contents, he said.

The house is owned by James Green of 1627 Shelton Road in Walla Walla and is rented to Scott and Rebecca Groom.

The fire appears to have started when the family's cat knocked over an iron that had been left on, Van Donge said. The pet died in the fire.

The house is uninhabitable for now and the Blue Mountain chapter of the American Red Cross has responded with clothing and other assistance.


Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in