Maps show where motor travel OK in national forest

The free maps are at all forest service offices and can be printed from a Web site.


PENDLETON - Updated maps for motorized travel in the Umatilla National Forest are now available.

The free maps are at all forest service offices and also can be printed off the Umatilla National Forest Web site, said Kevin Martin, forest supervisor.

"Basically, (the maps) display what routes are open, when routes are open and what type of vehicle can travel on those routes," said Larry Randall, forest recreation staff officer. Roads and trails not shown on the maps are not open to motorized travel.

The new maps were made to meet requirements of the Forest Service's 2005 Travel Management Rule, Randall said. Because the existing policies were in line with the rule, users will see little change on the ground, although there are a few exceptions.

One is the West-End Off Highway Vehicle Area located on the Heppner Ranger District, he said. After an environmental assessment in 2009, the decision was made to designate routes for motor vehicles instead of allowing cross-country travel in the 91,000-acre area.

Other changes have been made over time to address safety issues on mixed-use routes. Those changes are reflected on the updated maps, Randall said.

Further information is available from National Forest offices in Walla Walla and Dayton or by calling the supervisor's office in Pendleton at 541-278-3716.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in