Wa-Hi drops soccer game

The Blue Devils' 1-0 loss to Davis moves them to another seeding game against Pasco Tuesday.



Wa-Hi goalkeeper Andrew Glaeser dives to save a Davis free-kick from outside the box during the second half of the Blue Devils' district seeding game Saturday.


Wa-Hi's Marcos Medina (left) battles through a shirt-pulling tackle from Davis' Rudy Sanchez (left) during a Saturday seeding game.


Isaac Martinez, center, swoops in from behind Davis' Walter Manriquez , stealing the ball late in the second half of the Blue Devils' 1-0 loss.

WALLA WALLA - Wa-Hi soccer lost, 1-0, to Davis at the Whitman Sports Complex here Saturday in round one of the district seeding tournament for regionals.

The Blue Devils outshot the Pirates 16-15 overall, but the Pirates had the only goal that counted in the second half.

Davis won 1-0.

Davis' Walter Manriquez scored the only goal with 19 minutes remaining in the second half.

An earlier second-half shot went in for the Blue Devils, but was disallowed because of the handball that knocked it in.

Salvador Esquivel was called for the handball, as three Wa-Hi players were crowded around the ball, trying to knock it inside the box.

"The ball did hit his arm on the goal we scored in the second half," Wa-Hi coach Mike Washington said.

Esquivel received one of Wa-Hi's three yellow cards for arguing with the referee after the goal was called back.

"We left everything out there on the field," Washington said. "And we played OK. The big field that we played on will take some getting used to."

Wa-Hi has played all of their previous home games at the high school field.

The Pirates had five yellow cards, four in the second half.

Davis also had twice as many second half shots on goal (SOG), 8-4.

Wa-Hi goalkeeper Andrew Glaeser made eight saves on the day, some of the diving and leaping variety.

"Andrew came up big for us a couple of times," Washington said.

Glaeser also charged to the front of the goal box several times, intercepting Davis passes.

Davis got by a charging Glaeser in the first half, but Blue Devil defender Juan Rojero slid in to clear the ball away from the open goal, preventing a score.

Manriquez scored the goal at point-blank range, after dribbling inside the goal box in front of Glaeser, just a few yards away from the left goal post.

Manriquez, a midfielder, then kicked the ball diagonally left-to-right up, over and past Glaeser to the net's upper right corner.

Glaeser was guarding the left side.

Wa-Hi wasn't able to recover after the goal.

With eight minutes to go, a Blue Devils corner kick by Marcos Medina from the field's left side hit target Wa-Hi forward Rene Saldana, then sailed into the grasp of Pirates keeper Alexes Garcia.

Garcia made four saves on the afternoon.

A crossing pass was also retrieved by Garcia with six minutes left.

With 1:14 remaining, Wa-Hi's Sean Williams kicked a hard shot from the middle of the goal box. Garcia slid to catch it on one bounce.

Another corner kick was awarded to the Blue Devils with 13 seconds remaining. The kick went to the middle of the goal box but was headed away by a Pirate defender. Then time was out.

Davis' goal stood, and the Pirates won 1-0 and grabbed the No. 1 seed heading into regionals.

The Blue Devils will host a second district seeding playoff game Tuesday at Whitman at 7 p.m. against Pasco.

The winner takes the No. 2 seed and the loser is No. 3 heading into regionals.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in