Fire damages downtown Walla Walla boutique

Advertisement

WALLA WALLA -- A downtown business was partially damaged early Tuesday in a small fire, authorities said.

Crews with the City of Walla Walla Fire Department responded to a fire at Forward boutique, 26 E. Main St., about 2:19 a.m. Deputy Chief Bob Yancey said the fire appears to have been caused by a halogen light in the shop's display window that was on and too close to a cardboard box, igniting it.

The box caught fire, and the fire was detected by a passer-by, Yancey said.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire with a water extinguisher, but remained at the business until about 3:30 a.m. clearing smoke and boarding up the shop's display window. Yancey said the business apparently had a sprinkler system for its basement only.

Damage to the structure and contents was estimated at $2,500, Yancey said. The city's Police Department also arrived and City of College Place Fire Department was called to assist, but then sent back when the fire was found to be manageable.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment