Members of the Dayton School Board are Steve Martin, Marchand Hovrud, Tamara Fritze, Joe Huether and David Bailey. With Martin absent Wednesday the board:
- PERSONNEL: Approved contracts for: Jana Eaton, assistant to the superintendent and accounts payable officer; Katie Leid, elementary principal and special programs director; Andy Maheras, secondary principal; John Hutchens, maintenance supervisor; Ed Lambert, transportation supervisor; Rhonda Hibbs, food service supervisor and Doug Johnson, superintendent. Unanimous for all.
- SCHEDULE: Heard report on secondary academic schedule, including which teachers are teaching what subjects. There are few changes, Johnson said.
- COACHES: Heard report on meeting for coaches where the legal aspects of sports were presented.
- ENERGY PROJECT: Learned paperwork is being completed for funding for the energy project. The project includes a lighting retrofit and air conditioner.
- RETENTION/PROMOTION: Learned elementary staff is doing research on retention and promotion and will bring amendments or possibly new retention/promotion policy to the board later in the year.
- EXCHANGE STUDENTS: Learned Johnson has had discussion with sponsoring agency. The agency has said it will make changes, so the district will continue to accept students from that agency.
- SPECIAL EDUCATION: Learned the school psychologist's and three parapro positions will be reduced to bring expenditures in line with revenues for the program. This will be done by grouping together students with similar needs. The special education program cost $200,000 more than it brought in during the 2008-2009 school year, and $100,000 more during the current school year.
- ATHLETIC PROGRAM: Learned the cross country program may be eliminated as a cost reduction measure. Cross country has low participation, and there is football, soccer and volleyball available for students in the fall. Cross country coach Dan Nechodom asked the board via e-mail to reconsider their decision or not make a decision at the present time. The board took no action.
- MEETING: Set the time for the June 2 board meeting at 6:30 p.m.