PREP SOCCER — Mac-Hi boys soccer pick up quarterfinals win

The boys soccer team defeats Yamhill-Carlton 4-1 in Oregon's State playoff action.


MILTON-FREEWATER - Jose Herrera scored two goals and Johnny Trevino scored once and assisted on another as the Mac-Hi boys' soccer team rolled to a 4-1 victory against the Yamhill-Carlton Tigers Saturday afternoon at Shockman Field.

Christian Corona scored a fourth Mac-Hi goal to make it 4-0 at halftime.

But Mac-Hi's star striker and leading scorer, Oscar Flores, went down with an injury late in the first half and did not return.

"The guys kind of fell apart in the second half without Oscar, and the other players with injuries," Mac-Hi coach Jose Garcia said. "We weren't able to score anymore. We had four guys hurt in the physical, tough game and we've never had that happen before. The slide tackle on Oscar

was brutal and he hurt his ankle. Oscar is about the only player in jeopardy for next game, but we need him and his presence."

The Pioneers picked apart the Tigers in the first 20 minutes of the game, with its full complement of players.

Fourteen minutes into the game, Trevino hit Corona on a cross, about 5 yards in front of the goal, and it was booted into the net.

"Our main priority in this game was to score first," Trevino said. "It boosts our confidence and gets us going good. We weren't expecting as physical of a game from the Tigers, but when we figured it out - we just sped up."

For Mac-Hi's second goal, Trevino and the Pioneers did just that - sped up. Trevino dribbled through the middle of the box, around sprawled-out Tiger goalie Cade Raichart.

Trevino almost tripped himself, but was able to dive and kick the ball into the open net to make it 2-0.

The third Pioneers goal was on a penalty kick inside the box, and Herrera made good on the opportunity.

Herrera turned left and got his whole body headed that way before he tapped it right and into the net.

"We thought it was going to be a tougher game," Herrera said. "But it was a rough game. We scored when we had to score in the first half. In the second half, we passed the ball around more looking for a great shot and running time off the clock. They did pressure us a lot, though."

Before the end of the first half, Mac-Hi connected on its fourth goal of the game. Flores hit Herrera on a cross from right to left that found Herrera in the middle amongst a crowd.

Herrera's shot was slammed towards the goal and glanced off a Tiger defender before it went in.

The Pioneers gave up the lone goal in the second half and couldn't produce a score of their own.

"We were happy with what we had (four goals)," Trevino said. "We were mostly trying to keep the score as it was in the second half. A win is a win. We didn't need to score any more than that."

Forward Edgar Rodriguez scored the goal for the Tigers.

In the game, the Pioneers had 20 shots, 10 on goal, and the Tigers had just two shots on goal besides the score.

The Tigers' fouls started getting to the Pioneers after the Flores' injury - and the others who hobbled off the field.

"I kept pulling guys," Garcia said. "Telling them settle down and not retaliate. I told them not to let them mess up your minds and that we don't play that way."

"It was tough game," Herrera said. "Their guys were running everywhere, they wanted it bad and it was hard for us to get the ball every time."

The Pioneers maintained their composure and didn't receive any cards for retaliation.

The Pioneers play again in a semifinal matchup Tuesday at Stayton High School, near Salem, Ore., with a time to be announced.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in