Whitman, Pacific draw in NWC soccer action


WALLA WALLA - After outshooting the opposition 13-0 in the first half and falling behind twice in the second half, the Whitman College women's soccer team rallied for a 2-2 double-overtime tie with Pacific University Saturday afternoon at the Whitman Athletic Fields.

Whitman, now 3-8-1 in the NWC and 5-9-1 overall, outshot the Boxers 23-7 on the day.

Pacific is 5-4-2 in conference and 5-7-3 on the season.

Whitman peppered Pacific with 10 shots and three corner kicks in the first 21 minutes of the opening half. Amy Hasson uncorked two shots in the first minute with the second attempt missing just wide to the left.

In the closing seconds of the half, MacKenzie Hughes had her shot tipped over the crossbar by a diving Brittany Hartmann, Pacific's keeper. Hartmann made five of her seven saves in the first half while also facing five corner kicks.

Five minutes into the second half, Pacific's Trisha Tengan sent what appeared to be a cross from the far right side of the field toward the far post. The ball floated over Whitman keepeer Lauren Brougham and kicked off the inside of the post into the netting.

The Boxers stayed on the attack, outshooting the Missionaries 4-2 over the next several minutes while also generating three corner kicks.

Hughes, a first-year midfielder, pulled Whitman even in the 73rd minute with her first college goal. Open on the left side of the box courtesy of passes from Marisa Poorboy and Hallie Swan, Hughes knocked the ball just inside the far post.

Less than two minutes later, Swan clanged a hard shot off the Boxer crossbar. Pacific countered in a hurry, driving the ball to the other end of the field where Ashley Kanda beat a defender and scored one-on-one against the keeper.

Whitman squared the game at 2-2 in the 80th minute when Poorboy got open in the center of the field and drilled her fifth goal of the season from 30 yards out.

Poorboy took two more shots in the closing minutes of regulation, missing wide both times. With about three minutes left, the Pacific defense cleared a loose ball in front of its net, and with two minutes left, Hartmann got to a loose ball just ahead of Whitman's Julianne Masser.

Whitman's Taylor Chock took the only shot of the first overtime in the closing seconds of that 10-minute session.

The Missionaries took two more shots in the second overtime. After Swan missed high in the 107th minute, Hughes and Poorboy nearly connected on the game winner with just under three minutes left to play.

Hughes moved the ball up the left side and sent a cross as Poorboy raced to the front of the goal. Poorboy rose to get her foot on the ball, but the shot missed wide left.

Poorboy with six shots and Hasson with five paced the Whitman offense. Swan finished with three shots. Brougham collected two saves for the Missionaries while her defense also had two.

Mariah Schoniwitz came off the Boxer bench to put two of her three shots on goal.

Whitman stays at home to host George Fox at noon today.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in