Construction work may have caused Downtown Walla Walla fire

Advertisement

photo

Firefighters work to cut a hole at 109 E. Main St. as a result of a small fire that was apparently caused by construction sometime earlier in the day.

WALLA WALLA -- Emergency crews responded to a fire at 109 E. Main St. this morning that apparently was caused by construction sometime earlier.

Officials believe a construction crew using a torch to cut an I-beam on the front of the building accidentally ignited the floor joist between the first and second floors, according to Deputy Fire Chief Bob Yancey.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire, which was reported at 8:42 a.m., by cutting a hole in facade above an entrance to the structure, Yancey said.

There were no injuries and no major fire damage was reported, but officials had yet to assess possible smoke damage.

The building houses store fronts for Sinclair Estate Vineyards and the Sweets Shoppe.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment