Members of the Dayton School Board are Steve Martin, Marchand Hovrud, Tamara Fritze, Joe Huether and David Bailey. With Fritze absent Wednesday:
- DONATION: Accepted $100 donation from Eagles for school supplies for elementary students. Unanimous.
- PERSONNEL: Approved hiring Katie Woolridge as middle school assistant volleyball coach Joe Anderson as high school assistant football coach and Brian Rust as a middle school football volunteer. Unanimous for all.
- GEAR UP: Heard report by Gear Up coordinator Spring Lamere who explained the program. She works with eighth and ninth graders to encourage them to attend college or technical school following graduation. This is the third year of a 7-year grant program.
- LEADERSHIP: Heard report by elementary principal Katie Leid, who is president of the Washington State Elementary School Principal's Association. She told the board about a leadership conference she attended in Washington, D.C. during the summer.
- SPECIAL EDUCATION: Learned the special ed consortium is preparing to hire a couple of para professionals for classroom support. The special education classroom has been moved to allow access to appliances all day.
- ACTIVITY CODE: Learned a meeting will be held Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m. to review the school's activity code. Parents and community members are invited. The meeting is in the district boardroom.
- POLICIES: Tabled second reading on policy related to transportation. Approved first reading on policies related to accountability goals, high school graduation requirements, classroom management, corrective action or punishment, insurance, and military leave. Did not consider for first reading policies related to students and telecommunication devices, and credit for competency proficiency.