Members of the council are Eric Pickard, LaVerne Mitchell, John Shafer, Deborah Hayward and Carol Speed. Mayor is Charles Vickery. With Shafer absent Thursday:
- ROOF: Accepted bid of $10,188 from Bill Ezell Construction to replace the roof on the fire department. The bid was one of four received. Vote was 3-1 with Speed voting no.
- RECORDER: Voted to offer assistant recorder Nancy Parker the recorder job, beginning Dec. 1. She will replace Dyann Jo Swanson, who is retiring. Vote was 2-2, with Vickery breaking the tie with a yes vote. The council also voted 2-2 to offer the new recorder an annual salary of $40,850. Vickery broke the tie with a yes vote. Pickard and Hayward were opposed on both votes.
- DOGS: In response to question from a new resident, decided to check ordinances to see whether the dog ordinance specifies that dogs are not allowed in the city park. Presently a posted sign prohibits dogs, but some residents walk their dogs on leash in the park, and clean up after them. Depending on what the ordinance states, the sign may be changed.
- LIVESTOCK: Approved two applications for permits to keep chickens. Applicants are Rob and Elizabeth McIntyre, 406 Park Lane and Stan and Christie Nelson, 325 W. Washington St. Residents with permits are allowed to keep up to six chickens, but no roosters. Unanimous.
- MOBILE HOMES: Learned the planning commission is looking into changing the ordinance related to mobile homes to permit mobile homes up to 10 years old to be located in the city. More research will be done before a decision is made.
- LIBRARY: Learned 35 people attended the Swim and Splash at the city pool to celebrate the end of the library's summer reading program.