Members of the City Council are Christine Broughton, Kathy Berg, Merle Jackson, Terry Herrin, Charlie Button, Jim Cooper and Bill Graham. Mayor is Craig George. With Graham absent Monday the council:
- NOANET: After a public hearing with no public comment made on an ordinance granting a non-exclusive franchise for a telecommunication transmission line to NoaNet. Later in the meeting the council approved second and third readings of the ordinance and then authorized the ordinance. Unanimous for both.
- BURNING: Heard summation of current ban laws and grant opportunities to mitigate the effects of the state burn ban presented by Paul Rossow of the state Department of Ecology air quality program. City Clerk Trina Cole said the city and Columbia County will submit a grant application for curbside pick-up of yard waste and yard debris through the Coordinated Prevention Grant. Total for the grant is $15,000, which is similar to the 2009 curbside pickup program.
- GOATS: Approved hiring Healing Hooves, LLC of Edwall for vegetation management and weed control along the Touchet River Dike. The company uses goats and sheep to help control vegetation. Unanimous.
- SEWEDA: Learned the Southeast Washington Economic Development Association is in the process of hiring an executive director. A treasurer has been hired.
- BUDGET: Learned the 2012 budget process is under way. The finance committee will meet Aug. 30.