Garfield County Commissioners are Dean Burton, Wynne McCabe and Robert Johnson. With all present Monday commissioners:
- LETTER: Reviewed a letter from the county Democratic Central Committee naming deputy assessor Laura Smith as the committees recommendation for appointment as county assessor. Commissioners voted to appoint Smith to the position, which becomes vacant Dec. 31 when assessor Colleen Ledgerwood retires. The appointment is until the November, 2012 election, when Smith will run for Ledgerwood's 2-year unexpired term. The deputy assessor position will be advertised. Unanimous.
- BUDGETS: Reviewed equipment revolving and rental budgets. The county needs to purchase two sheriff's vehicles in 2012, and a mini van for Garfield County Transportation. There is a grant available for the van, but the county will need to match the grant.
- ALTC: Learned the Senior Information and Assistance office must now answer the telephone with "Aging and Disability Resource Center." This is to comply with federal grant requirements, Sherry Greenup told commissioners. Commissioners asked her to include "Garfield County" in the greeting. Commissioners signed an agreement for $72,881 from Aging and Long Term Care for the local program. The county's match is about $20,000. Unanimous.
- VEBA: Met with Tia Gilroy of the Voluntary Employee Beneficiary Association. Gilroy said 27 of the state's 39 counties participate in the health savings account. Commissioners agreed to set up a time for her to speak to employees about the plan.
- EMS: Approved contract to receive $4,353 in federal funds for the county Emergency Management Services. The contract is for two years, ending Dec. 31, 2013. Unanimous.
- DOE: Learned the county will receive $61,000 from the state Department of Ecology Grant for a chipper for the solid waste recycling program. The total contract is for $81,000. The chipper is used to keep brush and yard waste out of the landfill. The chipper is also used by the road department and as an agency share with the city of Pomeroy.