Heater blamed for Woodland Avenue apartment fire today

Advertisement

A baseboard heater appears to be the cause of an apartment fire at 205 Woodland Ave. this morning.

Firefighters responded at 8:23 a.m. to the small apartment after a fire broke out in an interior wall, noted Capt. Russell Kroum of the Walla Walla Fire Department. Two ambulances, two engines and a command unit arrived on the scene and evacuated the sole resident in the apartment, as well as those living in three connected units.

There were no injuries and firefighters kept the blaze confined to the original wall. The initial damage estimate is $5,000. Responders cleared the site at 9:51 a.m.

Papers were pushed up against the home's baseboard heater, creating a hot spot behind the wall, Kroum said. "Keep your combustibles away from heaters."

The Blue Mountain chapter of the American Red Cross has stepped in to find housing for the displaced resident, he added.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment