WALLA WALLA -- Residents of a new housing development south of town were evacuated from their homes for a short time Wednesday afternoon after a two-inch, main gas line was ruptured.
Fire District 4 Chief Rocky Eastman said the damage was caused by a small bobcat tractor while a landscaping crew was performing excavation work in the yard of a house under construction at 240 Cougar Creek Drive.
Fire crews were called to the scene about 1:25 p.m. Residents from five homes and about 15 construction workers were evacuated about 200 feet up the street for about 45 minutes to an hour, Eastman said.
Cascade Natural Gas workers were able to crimp the line, shut off the gas flow and repair damage to the pipe, he added.
No injuries were reported.