WALLA WALLA -- Children and teens ages 1-18 can get a free lunch throughout the summer as part of the federal Summer Food Service Program.
The City of Walla Walla Parks and Recreation department works with Walla Walla Public Schools each year to provide the meals. Through the U.S. Department of Agriculture program, the lunches are provided at several designated sites throughout the city. Walla Walla qualifies for the program by meeting guidelines and criteria for the National School Lunch program.
Each summer, thousands of meals are prepared and then served up at local parks, schools and other sites. The meals -- provided on a first-come, first-served basis, cannot be taken off site and cannot be consumed by anyone older than 18.
The following sites will provide free lunches Monday through Friday from June 13 through Aug. 12, unless otherwise noted. All sites will be closed July 14.
- Washington Park, 11-11:30 a.m.
- Jefferson Park, 11:30 a.m.-noon
- Wildwood Park, 11:30-noon
- Eastgate Lions Park, 11:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
- Pioneer Park, noon-12:30 p.m.
- Walla Walla YMCA, noon-12:30 p.m.
- Farm Labor Homes, 12:45-1 p.m.
- Fort Walla Walla Park, 11:10-11:40 a.m. (M-Th, July 11-Aug. 4)
- Lunches will also served at the following schools Monday through Thursday:
- Garrison Middle School, 11-11:30 a.m. (June 20-July 12)
- Lincoln Alternative High School, 11:30 a.m.-noon (T-Th, June 14-July 29)
- Edison Elementary, 11:30 a.m.-noon (June 15-Aug. 11)
- Pioneer Middle School, 11:35 a.m.-12:05 p.m. (ends July 14)
- Sharpstein Elementary, noon-12:30 p.m. (ends Aug. 18)
- Blue Ridge Elementary, 11:30 a.m.-noon (June 27-Aug. 18)
- Walla Walla High School, 11:30-noon (June 27-July 21)
- Prescott School, 11:30-noon (including Fridays, ends July 29)
-- Times and locations compiled from the City of Walla Walla Parks and Recreation 2011 Summer Program Guide.
View Larger Map