Members of the City Council are Christine Broughton, Kathy Berg, Merle Jackson, Terry Herrin, Charlie Button, Jim Cooper and Bill Graham. Mayor is Craig George. With Jackson and Graham absent Monday the council:
- PLAYGROUND: Gave the Dayton Development Task Force Playground Committee permission to proceed with downtown playground, pending certificate of appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission. Unanimous.
- DOWNTOWN DEVELOPMENT: Learned the Dayton Downtown Development Task Force has received two grants from the Sherwood Trust. A $20,000 grant is for restoration of murals on back of Village Shoppes, Project Timothy, and Sterling Bank buildings. The second grant, for $25,000, is for downtown planning and development of an overall downtown plan.
- FARMER'S MARKET: Approved vacation of N. First St. between Main Street and the alley N. First Street for the Dayton Farmers Market every Saturday beginning June 25 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The state Department of Transportation had informed the city the agency has no objections to the market being held on the street. Unanimous.
- RESOLUTION: Authorized the mayor to sign a resolution to allow the All Wheels Weekend fireworks show, following approval by the fire marshal. The resolution also covers fireworks booths. Unanimous.
- WATER: Voted to waive the water fee for the circus June 30. The circus expects to use about 1,000 gallons of water, with a value of $40. The council agreed to waive the fee because the circus will contribute to economic development. Unanimous.