A new piece of equipment will be clearing the runways at the Walla Walla Regional Airport.
The Port of Walla Walla and Walla Walla Regional Airport showed off the new Wausau-Everest SnoDozer, a severe-duty chassis with plowing, blowing and brooming attachments.
The equipment was about $887,000 and paid for through the Federal Aviation Administration's Airport Improvement Program. The FAA covered 95 percent of the cost, while the airport picked up the remaining 5 percent.
The SnoDozer arrived at the airport a couple of weeks ago. It replaces a piece of equipment that had been deteriorating.
Airport Manager Jennifer Skoglund said the equipment will be used on the ramp, taxiways and runways, which must be cleared of snow within an hour of the Alaska Airlines flights.
The SnoDozer pairs with a 2004 Oshkosh sander and plow to make up the airport's foundation of snow removal equipment.
A new banquet manager has joined the staff at the Marcus Whitman Hotel & Conference Center.
Brent Herring, a Tri-Cities area native and 20-year veteran of the hotel industry, will work closely with Director of Events Edie Paden in his new role, focusing on creating an exceptional experience for banquet guests.
Herring previously worked in Cedars Inn and Suites in Kennewick and Yakima, the Clarion Hotel & Conference Center in Richland and Red Lion Hotel in Pasco.
Working at a historic hotel such as the Marcus Whitman has been a longtime goal, he said.
Herring has been an active participant in community organizations, including Mid Columbia Pride, an ambassador for both the Tri-City and Richland chambers of commerce, a member of the Jaycee's, as well as serving on the Richland Hotel Tax Advisory Committee.
You don't have to be a financial expert to help clients with money and credit issues.
But an upcoming workshop may offer some new tips and tools for those who work with clients managing their finances.
That's the hope of the Walla Walla Asset Building Coalition, which is registering people for a financial resources workshop coming June 10. The free, half-day event is hosted by Port Jobs Seattle. The focus will be on becoming an effective financial mentor or case manager and is billed as a fit for people in positions where an understanding of financial topics could apply.
Participants will learn how to talk with people about money, the ins and outs of credit reports and how to help clients become more successful with spending plans. Agencies represented will receive a Financial Resources Guide with information on debt, money management, credit, saving and other topics.
The class is limited to 25 participants. To register or for more details, email Stephanie Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 529-4980.
Strictly Business is a local business column. Vicki Hillhouse can be reached at email@example.com or 526-8321.