Walla Walla's Carpenter achieves her dream in Boston Marathon

Walla Walla runner Michelle Carpenter finishes the Boston Marathon on a hot day that depleted the field of almost 27,000.


BOSTON - Walla Walla runner Michelle Carpenter achieved her dream as she finished the Boston Marathon Monday.

Carpenter finished the historic race in 4:37:35, good for 15,217th place overall, 5,818 among female runners and 3,234 in her division.

Athena's Eric Jensen also completed the race, finishing 4,822nd in 3:49:24.

Wesley Korir, a Kenyan citizen and permanent resident of the United States, won the marathon in a heat-slowed time of 2:12:40 that was more than five minutes behind the world best established a year ago by Geoffrey Mutai.

It was the second-slowest Boston race since 1985, as temperatures rising into the 80s slowed the leaders and may have convinced as many as 4,300 entrants to sit this one out. Mutai, who was hoping a repeat victory would earn him a spot on the Kenyan Olympic team, dropped out after 18 miles with cramps.

Sharon Cherop won the women's race to complete the Kenyan sweep, outsprinting Jemima Jelagat Sumgong to win by 2 seconds in 2:31:50. The women's race was decided by a sprint down Boylston Street for the fifth consecutive year.

Korir was the 19th Kenyan men's winner in 22 years. But he is hardly typical of the African runners who have come to dominate the event since Greg Meyer became the last American winner in 1983.

A two-time winner of the Los Angeles Marathon, Korir attended college at Murray State - the Racers, naturally - before transferring to Louisville and graduating from the school with a biology degree. He is hoping to receive American citizenship within a few years.

A total of 22,426 runners started Monday's race in Hopkinton in temperatures expected to be as high as 84 by the time the last of them finish their 26.2-mile trek to Boston's Back Bay. That's about 84 percent of the registered field of almost 27,000, with many of the no-shows expected to take race organizers up on their offer for a deferment into next year's race.

The largely unprecedented offer was issued in response to forecasts that called for temperatures rising from 69 at the start to 81 by the midpoint.

The heat didn't seem to be a problem for Canadian Joshua Cassidy, who won the men's wheelchair race in a time of 1 hour, 18 minutes, 25 seconds that is the fastest in history. American Shirley Reilly edged Japan's Wakako Tsuchida during a sprint to the finish in the women's wheelchair division.

But the runners were content to pace themselves.

One year after cool temperatures and a significant tailwind - perfect running weather - helped Mutai finish in 2:03:02 for the fastest marathon ever, the heat had elite runners preparing for a slower pace and the recreational runners trying to figure out how to finish at all.

The wheelchair racers left Hopkinton at 9:17 under sunny skies and a temperature of 69 degrees, followed by the women's field at 9:32. It was 73 when the elite men and the rest of the field went at 10 a.m.

The total field included 26,716 entrants, but 3,683 never picked up their bib numbers over the weekend. Another 607 who picked up their starting bibs did not show up at the start; they will be offered a chance to run in 2013 instead.

With forecasts of dangerous heat, the Boston Athletic Association warned runners to be alert for signs of heat stroke and dehydration and asked those who were inexperienced or ill to skip this race. The B.A.A. offered a limited deferment in 2010, when the Icelandic volcano eruption stalled air traffic in Europe and prevented about 300 runners from getting to Boston.

Five-gallon jugs of water - twice as many as usual, organizers said - were already lining the route early in the morning as volunteers and medical staff stood by preparing for the influx of hot and tired runners.

The Boston Marathon has had its share of hot weather, with the thermometer hitting 97 degrees during the 1909 race that came to be known as "The Inferno" and the 1976 "Run for the Hoses" that started in 100-degree heat and finished with spectators sprinkling winner Jack Fultz with garden hoses to cool him down.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in