Walla Walla School District offers help after immigration rule change


— Past and present Walla Walla High School students who qualify to apply for President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals plan can seek school record documentation from the district.

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals plan, or DACA, began accepting applications Aug. 15 for qualifying individuals. The plan, unveiled June 15, halts the deportation of undocumented teens and young adults who meet certain criteria.

Walla Walla Public Schools announced Thursday it will provide school record documentation for those who qualify, and have attended or currently attend Wa-Hi.

Past or present Wa-Hi students, whethery they graduated or just attended briefly, are asked to visit the high school, 800 Abbott Road, to secure the needed documents confirming school enrollment.

All other individuals, such as students who attended other district schools but not the high school, are asked to visit the district office, 364 S. Park St., and ask for Veronica Esparza for the proper documentation.

Information on completing the DACA application process is available online at www.uscis.gov. To qualify and apply for DACA, individuals must:

Be under age 31 as of June 15.

Have come to the U.S. before reaching 16 years of age.

Have continuously lived in the U.S. since at least June 15, 2007, up to the present time. (At least five years in the country).

Have been in the U.S. on June 15 and at the time of making a request for consideration of deferred action with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Have entered without inspection before June 15 or have had lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012.

Be in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a GED, or be an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or armed forces of the United States.

Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors and otherwise do not pose a threat to national security or public safety.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in