JERUSALEM — Israel is moving forward with plans for two major settlement projects in east Jerusalem, a spokeswoman said today, even as a senior Palestinian official warned that his government could pursue war crimes charges if Israel doesn’t halt such construction.
International anger over Israeli settlement construction has snowballed in recent days, following last week’s U.N. recognition of a state of Palestine — in lands Israel occupied in 1967 — as a non-member observer in the General Assembly.
The Israeli reprisal has prompted the country’s strongest Western allies to take an unusually strong line with the Jewish state.
Australia and Brazil summoned the local Israeli ambassadors Tuesday to protest the settlement plans, Israel’s Foreign Ministry said, a day after five European countries, including Britain, took the same step.
Later today, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry said it summoned Israel’s ambassador to Cairo to protest plans to move forward with east Jerusalem construction.