Man sues ex-Elmo puppeteer; fourth to claim sex abuse

Advertisement

MIAMI — Another man on Monday sued the former Elmo puppeteer who resigned amid sex abuse allegations, claiming the voice actor befriended him in Miami and promised to be a father figure before flying the teen to New York to have sex with him.

The alleged victim is now the fourth to accuse Kevin Clash, who resigned from “Sesame Street” last month after 28 years. The three legal actions filed so far have been civil cases seeking financial compensation.

But the incident with the latest victim, referred to only as S.M., could involve criminal charges because the lawsuit claims Clash transported him across state lines for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity.

“These are all vulnerable boys. None of them had father figures in their lives and they were looking for that father figure,” said Attorney Jeff Herman, who represents three of the alleged victims.

Clash’s attorney Michael Berger said in a statement that “the lawsuit is without merit and we will vigorously defend the case and Mr. Clash’s reputation.”

Herman said the alleged victims didn’t come forward sooner because they were afraid, but have found courage as others have spoken up.

Herman said he’s been contacted by several other possible victims and is vetting their cases.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

4 free views left!