Members of the Dayton School Board are Steve Martin, Marchand Hovrud, Tamara Fritze, Joe Huether and David Bailey. With Martin absent Wednesday:
- ASB: Learned a student store is being developed at the high school. The middle school and elementary ASB will attend a leadership retreat this month.
- BOARD: Postponed board reorganization and reports on board self-appraisal and leadership.
- TRUST FUNDS: Heard report by business manager Paula Moisio on trusts funds that benefit the district. Last year Dayton students received $160,000 in scholarships, and $16,000 came from the trust funds the district holds. Superintendent Doug Johnson noted that the district financial reports include money held in trust, but it is not the district's money.
- BEHAVIOR PROGRAM: Heard report from high school principal Andy Maheras about a program called Positive Behavior Instruction Supports, a behavior management program a number of schools in the area are using effectively. The high school is exploring the program as an option.
- SKILLS CENTER: Learned Superintendent Doug Johnson, along with four other are school districts, signed a resolution requesting $10,000 from the state for construction of a skills center in Walla Walla.
- TECHNOLOGY RESEARCH: Learned the district is looking into the possibility of using electronic devices like iPods and iPads for student learning. Johnson provided board members with information on how other schools are implementing use of the devices.
- AVID: Heard report on a program of instructional supports to help students perform better at school. The Advancement Via Individual Determination program helps students develop skills in note taking, report writing and other tasks related to study. Heard reports on WSSDA policy update, Steps to Respect, district mission statements and goals, board leadership assignments, legislature, after school program, board self-appraisal and goals, and budget status.
- POLICIES: Adopted policy related to policy adoption. Unanimous. Discussed first reading on policy and procedures related to interscholastic activities. The board is looking at the part of the procedure addressing whether teams can practice on Sunday.