Members of the Dayton School Board are Steve Martin, Marchand Hovrud, Tamara Fritze, Joe Huether and David Bailey. With Huether absent Wednesday:
- ORGANIZATION: Administered oath of office to reelected board members Martin and Hovrud. Huether will be sworn in at the next board meeting. Reelected Martin as board chairman. Other board officers will be named at the next meeting. Unanimous.
- LEVY: Superintendent Doug Johnson reminded the board of dates related to the Feb. 14 levy. Ballots will be mailed between Jan. 25 and Jan. 27. Johnson distributed fact sheets that the board can use as reference when answering questions from the public.
- POLICIES: Approved policies related to graduation requirements, board member resignation and vacancy, alternative learning experience, student immunization and life threatening health conditions, public information, sexual harassment, and construction design. Postponed action pending further information on policies related to energy management and the state environmental policy act and compliance. Unanimous. Held first reading of revised policy related to excused and unexcused absences. The revision removes language about excusing students for tardiness when they have attended an away sports event that causes them to arrive home late.
- PERSONNEL: Turned down a request by head softball coach Terry Robins and assistant coach Desirae Jones to have their positions changed to co-coaches. The board decided to leave the positions as they are because hiring and evaluation procedures are set up for the head coach/assistant coach scenario. Board members also said there wasn't anything in the request that couldn't be accomplished by leaving the positions as they are.
- SUPERINTENDENT: Johnson presented a draft of his goals and action plan to the board, based on a recent evaluation session with the board. Johnson encouraged board members to contact him with suggestions for priorities before the next board meeting.
- GOALS: Discussed board self-appraisal and goals for improvement. The board will be working on this for the next meeting.