Members of the Waitsburg School Board are Ross Hamann, Marilyn Johnson, Christy House, Randy Pearson and Greg Zuger. With Pearson and Zuger absent Wednesday the board:
- ENROLLMENT: Learned enrollment has dropped by seven students, putting the district below the number the budget is based on. Reasons for leaving the district are related to transportation issues for out-of-district students, and some high school students looking for alternative programs, Superintendent Carol Clarke said.
- TOWN HALL MEETING: Clarke told the board about 45 people attended a recent meeting on substance abuse and underage drinking sponsored by the school district, and the Coalition for Youth and Families of Columbia and Walla Walla Counties.
- ACCREDITATION: Approved summary of high school accreditation. There are a couple of areas the district will examine more closely, Clarke said.
- BUDGET COMMITTEE: Heard report by budget committee chair Marilyn Johnson. She said the committee hopes to have a recommendation for planning for 2012-13 at the April board meeting.
- EVALUATION PROJECT: Learned the district is committed to sending two teachers to a training of trainers in preparation for implementation of a teacher-principal evaluation project. The district plans to implement the program next year with four teachers and a principal.
- PRESS BOX/LIGHTING: Learned work on the new press box and electrical and lighting upgrades at the athletic field has resulted in some of the track being torn up. As track season is underway, this has caused some concern, Hamann told the board. The track may be ready for use by Monday, and it is hoped the project will be completed by mid to late May.
- CLOSURE: Approved closure of the District Office April 2-7. Unanimous.
- NEWS: Passed resolution to give $250 in financial support for the Network for Excellence in Washington Schools. Unanimous.
- PERSONNEL: Approved hiring spring sports coaches as recommended by the W-P Athletic Advisory. Coaches approved are: Jeff Bartlow, head high school track and field coach; Joanna Lanning and Darlene Dozier, assistant high school track and field coaches; Vickie Hamann, middle school head track and field coach; Jared Stamper, assistant middle school track and field coach; Dustin Snedigar, head high school baseball coach; Jake Vibbert and John Watts, assistant high school baseball coaches; Angie Potts, high school head softball coach; Marvin Eng, assistant high school softball coach; Jeff Foertsch, middle school head baseball coach; Brett Mayberry, assistant middle school baseball coach; Lynnsey Bailey, head middle school softball coach and Susan Wildey, assistant middle school softball coach. Unanimous for all.