Pomeroy School District Board members are Paul Ruark, Lori Slaybaugh, Lori Flynn, Bart Gingerich and Ed Sullivan. With all present Wednesday the board:
- LEGISLATOR: Discussed upcoming visit to the district by state Legislative District 9 representative Susan Fagan April 25. Fagan wants to visit the district along with policy analysts from the House of Representatives. She plans to spend April 24 in Pasco, the morning of April 25 in Dayton, and will arrive in Pomeroy at 3:30 p.m. to meet with the school board that afternoon.
- MODERNIZATION: Learned the modernization project continues on schedule. Project Manager Dax Logsdon reviewed the project budget and discussed the energy grant. The district has not learned whether the grant will be awarded. Discussed timing the project so the contractor for the building could install the ground source heat pump.
- EVALUATION: Voted to adopt the Center for Educational Leadership instructional framework for the district's Teacher/Principal Evaluation Pilot. Administrators and two teachers presented the recommendation, which they said seemed to be the most useful to practice. Unanimous.
- STAFFING: Discussed academic schedule for 2012-13. The same subjects will be taught, but administrators are looking at how to optimize staff with some classes at higher grades that have few students enrolled. Also discussed the modified block schedule, and offering zero hour for some classes.
- PRINCIPAL: Elementary principal and superintendent Kim Space told the board about the National Association of Elementary School Principals conference he attended in Seattle. He attended three workshops on assessment. He told the board "principals all over the country are feeling the 'pinch' with state testing and other education reforms.
- POLICY: Approved policy related to gifted and talented programs. Unanimous.
- CLOSURES: Approved the following dates to make up weather-related closures earlier this year. School will be held May 7, and May 23. Students will be released at 11:30 a.m. May 24 and May 25, and at 10 a.m. May 29, the last day of school. Teachers will work May 30. Unanimous.
- SENIORS: Approved senior request to not return to school after graduation May 20. Unanimous.