Saturday fire on Cherry Street blamed on cigarette

Advertisement

WALLA WALLA - Walla Walla Fire Department crews responded to a house fire at 215 E. Cherry St. at 4:44 a.m. on Saturday that caused more than $25,000 damage, according to Fire Chief Bob Yancey.

Rodolfo Molina, a tenant in an upstairs apartment at the address, was awakened by a smoke alarm and noticed the fire, which according to Yancey was caused by a cigarette left on an outdoor couch.

Molina woke the rest of the occupants, and one person was taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation after attempting to douse the fire with a garden hose.

The fire caused $25,000 damage to the house and $4,000 damage to a nearby shed, according to Yancey.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in
4 free views left!