Clinton: I'm responsible for consulate security

Advertisement

LIMA, Peru — U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is answering Republican criticism of the Obama administration’s handling of last month’s attack at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, saying she — not the White House — is responsible for security at all of America’s diplomatic missions.

“I take responsibility,” Clinton told CNN. “I’m in charge of the State Department’s 60,000-plus people all over the world (at) 275 posts.”

Congressional hearings revealed that the State Department was aware of, and rejected, several requests for increased security in Benghazi.

“The president and the vice president wouldn’t be knowledgeable about specific decisions that are made by security professionals,” Clinton said Monday.

Clinton told Fox News Channel that “the decisions about security are made by security professionals. But we’re going to review everything to be sure we’re doing what needs to be done in an increasingly risky environment.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in