rial again delayed in drive-by shooting

Advertisement

WALLA WALLA — Two men now are scheduled to face a Superior Court jury Oct. 16 for their alleged roles in what police say was a gang-related, drive-by shooting at Howard and Tietan streets last year.

The trial for Daniel Ramos-Lara and Francisco Casillas Jr. was slated to begin Aug. 28, but has been postponed.

Ramos-Lara, 27, of 434 Ankeny St., is charged with four counts of first-degree assault and one count each of drive-by shooting and riot.

Casillas, 31, whose last known address isn’t confirmed, is accused of complicity in all of the charges.

Officials said Ramos-Lara and other gang members were in an extended-cab Chevrolet pickup — driven by Casillas — that was chasing rival gang members in a Chevy Tahoe about 5:40 p.m. July 28, 2011.

As the vehicles were heading north on Howard at Tietan, Ramos-Lara — a front-seat passenger in the pickup — fired shots from a .22-caliber revolver at the fleeing Tahoe in a northeasterly direction, according to a police report filed in court.

A witness told police the Tahoe then headed east on Tietan and the pickup fled either west on Tietan or continued north on Howard.

A bullet penetrated a window of a residence, but no one in the house was injured nor were there reports of any gang members being hurt.

Terry McConn can be reached at terrymcconn@wwub.com or 526-8319.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

4 free views left!