Libyan premier says eight arrested for US consulate attack

Advertisement

TRIPOLI, Libya — Libya has arrested eight people in connection with the fatal attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi and is seeking leaders of the groups believed involved who have fled abroad, the country’s prime minister-elect said in an interview today.

Mustafa Abushagur, who was named premier earlier this month, said Ansar al-Shariah was one of the groups thought to be involved. Several suspects are currently being sought after crossing the border into Egypt, Abushagur said in an interview in his Tripoli office. All the people arrested so far are Libyan nationals, he said.

The prime minister’s comments come after an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11 in which four Americans including the ambassador, John Christopher Stevens, died.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in