Walla Walla City Council should be replaced

Did I wake up this morning in China? The last time I read the Constitution of the U.S. there was a First Amendment about freedom of speech, people should be free, and commerce should be free.

Last week I was in New York, more specifically in Times Square. Have you ever driven through that part of New York? Last June I went to Las Vegas, have you ever driven through "The Strip"?

How is it that in this little quaint town of Walla Walla a sign, more like a mural, that you cannot see from a car unless you stop right in front of it, can cause such controversy? I am referring to the Inland Octopus toy store.

Your City Council is pathetic and each one of the members should be replaced.

The amount of money these hypocrites spent and are spending in lawyers, and the pain and financial burden you put on the owner because of it, is representative of the poor government representatives of this country at all levels.

There is only one less deserving group of people of my respect than the City Council members, and it is the group of people who voted for them.

Alex Otman

Bakersfield, Calif.

Comments

joanns25 1 year, 11 months ago

Walla Walla is not Times Square or the Las Vegas strip!

joanns25 1 year, 11 months ago

And I would venture to say that if in any of these areas the business owner's had gone about it the same way as this owner did - the cities you are referring to would also be in a legal battle.

ryno3019 1 year, 11 months ago

Worry about your own town, Alex. The business owner knowingly went against the ordinance.

JnJRit07 1 year, 11 months ago

after attending council meetings personally, hearing the call of " we do this that and the other thing all to get tourists, outsiders, winos, and the likes to come to walla walla." and as one council member put it "What they think of Our Fare City", seems to me they should take head to Mr Otman's posting.

and by the way ryno and joann. it is people like Mr Otman our city council say's they are trying to attract. ohhh evidently unless they have common sense, and disagree with them eh?

Good call 07 - I totally agree. This fare city is awful lopsided any way you look at it!

drgma 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree. The holier-than-thous object, but it is unique and people from out of town like it. It's getting to be a tourist attraction

ryno3019 1 year, 11 months ago

Just because the law/ordinance does't make sense, doesn't mean you can go all willy-nilly and do what you please. There are plenty of business owners downtown, and off the strip, that are upset with the city ordinance, but they don't go paint a mural or put up illegal signage on Saturdays to see if they'll get away with it on by the time Monday comes around.