An advisory has been issued for the public school district in Touchet.
With the discovery of a failure of a water system chlorinator Sunday, access to water fountains was blocked Monday and bottled water was distributed to staff and students, said Donn Moyer, director of communication for Washington state Department of Health.
Notification was sent home to families, as well.
Normally the chlorinator adds a low level amount of disinfectant into the water system to keep drinking water safe. But the monitoring system indicated something went wrong, Moyer said Monday.
The system is required to disinfect the water due to historical bacterial contamination.
The district immediately put out a voluntary boil water advisory as soon as the problem was detected, he added.
“We’re working with local health and school officials ... they’ve done a good job of notifying affected folks and there’s no indication of any health issues resulting from the event. I understand the chlorinator is repaired and will be back in service soon. Once the operator confirms the chlorination/disinfectant is in the water, the system will go back to normal operations.”