Felons with guns should do hard time

I have read many articles about gun control. Then I read in the paper about felons in possession of guns and they get a few days’ free lodging.

If we want to stop repeat offenses, there needs to be follow through with automatic penitentiary time. A slap on the wrist (a few days in jail) is no deterrent for a felon.

Why are the charges being dropped or reduced to that slap on the wrist? I think the legal system is too ready to reduce court time for a plea.

If people spit on the sidewalk, slap their hands.

If they use a weapon to commit a crime, send them to the Big House.

Warren E. Ewing

Prescott

Comments

chicoli 1 year, 6 months ago

I will go even further. The gun owner, or dealer who sells a weapon to a felon should be held financially accountable for the damages caused to the family of the victim. Please take into consideration that "good guys" as the NRA leadership likes to call them, are not felons until they commit their first felonious act, in many instances facilitated by the availability of guns at home. A good guy who kills his wife for a trivial argument with his brother's gun, both him and his brother should go to prison. As to the self defense argument, if someone decides to kill somebody under the argument of self defense, he or she should be prepare to defend it in the court of law with a good lawyer and a lot of money. If it cannot be proved as self defense, after a fair and just trial, the killer should go to prison. Now it looks a bit more clear that more guns could possibly create more new felons.

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

WRONG!
If I barrow a pick-up from my co-worker for a weekend to move my furniture to a new place. And then I consume too much booze, and then drive the barrowed truck and cause a accident with a death, should my co-worker go to jail too?

If the accident is with a school bus and there are 20 lives lost... that is more than some of the recent shootings....

Some call an auto a more deadly killing machine than a most guns....

chicoli 1 year, 6 months ago

Both the truck and the school bus are covered by insurance, and are properly registered. The victims can always file a cvil suit for damages caused to third parties. How about insuring and registering guns? If on the other hand your friend has no insurance and the truck is not registered he should to jail with you too.

Since Ralph Nader started his auto safety quest many years ago automobiles are a "well regulated" industry by the government, with better and a better safety record. So, as the second ammendment suggest, "a well regulated" arm's culture will be beneficial for the country. You have the right to own a truck, as you have the right to own a gun. Let's regulate both!

I also believe that comparing school bus accident fatalities with the 20 children gunned down by an AR-15 is insensitive.

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Life can be insensitive too.... You know what I meant! Stop trying to pick a scab that isnt there! It could have been @ WWU , or downtown WW at 5.00pm, or Balloon Stampede Weekend, Fair weekend, you get my point... There can be idiots anywhere wanting to kill mass amount of people, anywhere, at any time... a small amount of lumber used in a building won't do much good to stop a large oversized SUV/Pickup! .

Back to your answer.... How about the sales clerk at Bi-mart for selling me the ammo for the gun you are scared of? Because he trusted I would not shoot someone? Even though I bought it legally with all documents needed? .

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Taking your future argument away.... This hypothetical AR-15 you referred to in you statement... I say it was already illegally owned! It was used by a convicted felon! Stolen from a legal owner!

PearlY 1 year, 6 months ago

There is no requirement to insure or register a vehicle that is not taken off your own property. It's also legal to drive your vehicle on your own property without being licensed or insured. And under current law, there's be no liability, either, if that vehicle is stolen off your property and used to harm someone.

By the way, I read somewhere that the "better safety record" of vehicles is actually the result primarily of better emergency and trauma care, not fewer or less severe accidents. Don't know if that's true, but it makes sense. I've also read that the safety value of measures like seat belts and air bags are lost because people tend to drive more recklessly when they believe they're protected by those measures. Given human nature, that makes sense too.

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

PearlY... My point is... A person "bent" on harming mass amounts of people, similar to the theater shooter and school shooters etc. can find many different ways to harm/kill people!

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Now, Lets add to the conversation fire... . Lets say now that I take the pick-up WITHOUT permission, and now the owner DOESNT have insurance... (because it is not supposed to be on the road!) And I am talking on the phone, drunk, and the speeding pickup explodes on inpact from the full tan of fuel the owner put into it.
Do you.... A) put my Mom in jail for talking to me and being un-aware that I was driving? B) Put the 21 Year old sales clerk @ Safeway in Jail for selling my spouse the booze that my spouse bought or do you want to jail my spouse for allowing me to drink it while unsupervised (I am legal age/no crimnal record) at home alone? C) Do you put the 16 year old station attendant in jail for selling the owner a full tank of fuel? . Where do you PACO... purpose to draw the liability line?

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Still waiting Paco.... to see what way you spin this to fit your storys.........

He's probably checking with his (Legal Counsel)? lol

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Lol........ It is awful quite

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Mass killing can happen in various ways. Remember a few years ago and the Pill scare? (Tylenol? Aspirin? ) Its just not with guns. Look at the bus accident in Pendleton last year.... Change a few of the details and..... More people are killed every day by cars/vehicles (and not just by accidental causes), and yet we (you and I) get right back into our various modes of transportation and drive every day... And we just assume people are capable of driving safely just because the driver took a test? What about the un-licensed, (therefore unqualified) thousands of people in this state alone that drive in and around us every day..... . Anyway my point is ... If there is a will to do harm there is many ways a person can do so....... Not just with guns

pdywgn 1 year, 6 months ago

How about holding the Mental Health Professionals responsible when their client is delusional and the MHP completely fails to act.

My thought process all along. Every one of these mass killings have been committed by a mentally challenged individual. Most of the weapons used were purchase by family members or friends.

barracuda 1 year, 6 months ago

Oh, Paco.... RE: Today in Boston.... All this carnage without an AR-15....