Common courtesy seems to have disappeared

Just a little reminder for those of us who shop in all kinds of places. When we are ready to pay for our purchases, please make a mental note to “hand” the cashier your money or card instead of flicking it out of your wallet. It is very rude and disrespectful to the person who is waiting for you to hand it to them.

It is a very simple and appreciative gesture that goes a long way. Think of how you would feel if that was done to you all day long. It is easier to have the cashier hand you back your change instead of having to pick up all of those coins off the counter, think about it.

I am sure people appreciate those who are conscientious about it.

C.M. Pacheco

Comments

paco1234 8 months ago

I've seen this "operation" of "flicking" money which seems to be so annoying to Mr. Pacheco. Older people, handicapped folks usualy do this...and all of us do it as well when trying to even up the payment with coins. It only takes a few seconds more, and I see no need to call it rude or disrespectful. A little bit courtesy and deference in such circumstances is a simple and appreciative gesture that goes a long way!

Hersey 8 months ago

What drives me crazy is folks who wait until their entire order is rung up and then start writing a check. I would think these folks could at least write down the date, name of the store and sign it while their order is being rung up. Then all they need to do is fill in the amount. These same folks usually also balance their checkbook after they have written the check. Petty, I know.

paco1234 8 months ago

Now we're talking...I certainly agree with you! There shoul be a sign reading: "Please have your check dated, addressed and signed ready"

namvet60 8 months ago

That's funny - you would sign a blank check?

paco1234 8 months ago

It's not funny. It's actually clever and considerate to those waiting in line. Afterall it is already addressed to Safeway... or whoever!

NewInWW 8 months ago

I think the financial risks of signing a check made out to a store before the amount is filled in, while standing in the check out line at that store, are probably pretty minimal.

paco1234 8 months ago

Thanks, NewInWW...hopefully he will get it!

namvet60 8 months ago

NewInWW - I do agree but I have observed people (mostly Seniors) write out there check and then leaving it unattended to start pulling bags into there basket. As time progresses I guess I'm not as trusting as I was a few decades ago.

paco1234 8 months ago

Namvet, you seem to have an inexhaustible supply of red herrings, just to save face. And then, not happy with that, just a little more added to assure yourself a soft landing! Please learn how to concede once in a while!

namvet60 8 months ago

paco - I didn't know that I addressed you - so in the future rely on your own misdeeds and ignorant posts.

paco1234 8 months ago

"misdeeds" might sound like a highfalutin word to you, but it doesn't apply here as it is inapropriately used in thi context! You do this a lot, namvet! Try simple words, and in keeping with your competence! Once you post, you do it for everyone. This is a free press, my friend!

namvet60 7 months, 4 weeks ago

When you learn how to spell I will consider revamping my posts.

paco1234 7 months, 4 weeks ago

You don't need to revamp anything..for me? Please, don't do it for me, do it for all the readers. You just need to stay away from red herrings, and from embelishing your writing with inapropriate words. By the way, you consistently misspell "their", so pay attention to the lumber in your eye, my friend!

namvet60 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Are you trying to say that your having problems comprehending what I'm posting? If I see the need to "embellish" or use a "red herring", I will do so at my discretion. By the way if I mis-use "their" or "there" (as in grammar not spelling) I own up to it - no problem. But spell check would do you a world of good.

paco1234 7 months, 4 weeks ago

I own up to my spelling...so THERE ! By the way, I can spell substantially better than you... and in 4 languages! So THERE!

By the way, spelling is spelling, and the way you spell " their" is "their", not "there"...got it?

Now, I'm tired of chasing your childish rebutals! It's not fair to the rest of our readers! Good-bye!

namvet60 7 months, 4 weeks ago

That's funny - just shows your reality suffers. Sorry.

paco1234 7 months, 4 weeks ago

re-but-tals: when two people respond to each other arguments.

namvet60 7 months, 4 weeks ago

If you weren't acting like the U-B know it all I wouldn't even bother but do you even know the difference between "their" , "there" and "they're"? If you spell the same in supposedly all 4 languages as you do on these posts - you better hit the books mister.

carcrazy 7 months, 4 weeks ago

You have said Good Bye before, but you will be back.

pdywgn 7 months, 4 weeks ago

A lot of the people writing those checks are elderly. They do that to stall for time because the only human contact they may have that day is the clerk. If you watch they also tend to have favorite cashiers that they go to. In that case I have no problem waiting for them. How about scratch ticket winners that stand at the register and scratch off tickets while your trying to pay for your items.

paco1234 7 months, 4 weeks ago

Pdywgn, exellent observation, the kind indicating sensitivity and good heart! We need more of this, so thanks a million!