Walla Walla family loses home in fire

Residents Marta and Carlos Solis talk with Walla Walla Fire District personnel after the fire at their home on Thursday at 505 Ninth Ave.

Residents Marta and Carlos Solis talk with Walla Walla Fire District personnel after the fire at their home on Thursday at 505 Ninth Ave. Photo by Greg Lehman.

Advertisement

WALLA WALLA — A fire Thursday destroyed the house and belongings of a family of six who had no homeowners insurance.

Walla Walla Fire Department units were called to 505 N. Ninth Ave. at 12:38 p.m., where they found flames and smoke coming from the outside of the building.

No injuries were reported and the fire was brought under control about 1 p.m.

Owner Carlos Solis said he was unable to secure homeowners insurance for the last two years because he couldn’t make the required repairs.

“Right now I am trying to see if I can stay with a family member,” Solis said.

The family spent Thursday night at an area motel provided through a Red Cross disaster assistance program.

The estimated value of the Solis’ house was $40,000; the family lost another $20,000 in contents, according to officials.

The cause of the fire was listed as electrical and having started by a laundry room dryer.

Solis, who is a laborer, and his wife, Marta, have two daughters, Jessenia, 14, and Karla, 18. Their eldest daughter recently gave birth to a son and has a daughter, age 22 months.

“We have to start from the bottom and see what we can work out,” Solis said, adding that they had just begun to buy presents and decorate for Christmas. “We just had a little tree. We put a tree, but we hadn’t decorated it yet.”

Alfred Diaz can be reached at alfreddiaz@wwub.com or 526-8325.


This story was updated Dec. 20, 2013 at 5:45 p.m. to reflect the following correction:

Information about family was incorrect in a story in Friday's U-B. Karla Solis, 18, is the mother of the two youngest members of a family whose home burned in a fire Thursday. We regret the error.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in
4 free views left!