RENTON — The Seahawks are paying receiver Percy Harvin at least $14.5 million this season — a $12 million signing bonus and a $2.5 million base salary.
And it’s possible that the return on that investment will be one catch for 11 yards and one kickoff return for 58 yards.
Both came against the Minnesota Vikings on Nov. 17, Harvin’s first game after having hip surgery Aug. 1. He hasn’t played since while battling soreness.
Coach Pete Carroll hinted strongly Tuesday that the team may soon put Harvin on the injured-reserve list, which would make him ineligible to play until next season.
Asked if a roster move for Harvin could be coming soon, Carroll said, “Yeah, that may happen.”
It could happen by the end of the week. The Seahawks will need to create room on their 53-man active roster for cornerback Walter Thurmond, who returns this week from a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy.
Carroll said Monday that the Seahawks would take a longterm approach to dealing with Harvin, whom the team acquired in March for three draft picks, including a 2013 first-rounder. They gave him a six-year contract that could be worth as much as $67 million, with $25.5 million guaranteed.
Harvin returned to great fanfare against the Vikings, his former team. A one-handed reception set up one touchdown, and a kickoff return set up another.
But the following week he felt soreness in the hip and has not played since. Harvin had surgery on the hip after he complained of soreness shortly before training camp and was diagnosed with a slight tear in the labrum.
“We’re looking to take care of him,’’ Carroll said Monday. “We need to get him right. He had major surgery and he tried with everything he could to get back, and hasn’t been able to get that done.”
Seattle promoted receiver Bryan Walters from the practice squad to the active roster last week, giving the team five healthy receivers. The others are Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette and Jermaine Kearse.