All excess Wa-Hi funds will be returned to taxpayers

I would like to clarify one point that continues to be of concern to some voters.

As president of the Board of Directors of the Walla Walla Public Schools, I would like to assure you that the Board has already voted to direct all excess funds (both local bond and state matching dollars) on the Walla Walla High School project back to the taxpayers.

Superintendent Mick Miller has promised to fully support and follow this vote.

Anne Golden

Comments

grammy97 1 year, 7 months ago

TO ANNE GOLDEN - EXCESS FUNDS? IS THIS AFTER YOU USE IT ELSEWHERE? WHICH HAS BEEN HISTORICALLY DONE DURING PREVIOUS PASSED BONDS? GENERAL PUBLIC DOES NOT TRUST THE SCHOOL DISTRICT.

grammy97 1 year, 7 months ago

To Anne Golden and all of whom I have offended. I apologize for my cap lock being on. I write & type most things in caps and didn't notice until 3 days ago. I sincerely apologize to all.

This little blurp is facinating - How many of these same people will be on the board or how many people will be around Walla Walla in 20 years to receive the excess funds? This statement as a whole is ludicrous.

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

Darned if they do, darned if they don't...so to speak. The board's decision a few years back to use the remaining bond funds to build a new transportation facility was a smart decision for the district and taxpayers, as it will extend the life of many vehicles and allow repairs to be onsite, just to name a few advantages.

While it was a smart fiscal move, it wasn't a very good public relations move. Even if the public hasn't done the research and has elected a school board to do that work on the public's behalf, taxpayers still like to have a say in where their money goes. Fair enough. So the Board learned from that experience and has responded to the will of the people who complained. And you still condemn them?

What a dark, unforgiving outlook some of you must have. All caps, grammy97? Really? When I go to church on Sunday and when I look in the mirror daily, I find myself wanting. This makes it easier to forgive others. Do you see perfection in your mirror?

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

By the way, I plan to be around, namvet. I want me some excess funds.

briandohe 1 year, 7 months ago

Please give the school board president some respect. The board voted in a public meeting to return excess funds. They've gone on public record to return excess funds.

barracuda 1 year, 7 months ago

The vote to return the money was not an easy one to make... It was not 100% in favor... Some of the board still wants to keep the excess money... Lucky for us, some of the majority of the board has learned the lesson...

writewinger 1 year, 7 months ago

I certainly do respect the position and decision of the Board. What is mystifying to me about the clarification of the Board President is her statement that Superintendent Miller has promised to support it. Is it optional for him? I realize he is in a Very Powerful position, but am somewhat bewildered to think he may have the power to override any of the Board's Decisions? As far as any so-called excess funds are concerned...just keep adding on Bells and Whistles until there aren't any. That's the Government Way!

briandohe 1 year, 7 months ago

If the board's vote passed, it's a done deal. It's a bit like being "sort-of pregnant." Either it passed or it didn't. (It passed.)

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm sure Mrs. Golden added the part about Mick Miller promising to support the decision because she was anticipating someone saying, "Well, what about the superintendent? What if he won't support it?" So, even though it's the Board that allocates funding, she made sure it was clear that he supports it too. He does. There's nothing more to read into it than that. As briandohe said, it's a done deal.

grammy97 1 year, 7 months ago

To Anne Golden and others, my comment made 4 days ago in caps, was an honest mistake. I tend to write everything in caps and simply didn't check what and how I had written it. I deeply apologize .

fatherof5 1 year, 7 months ago

Don't tell namvet, but I've made a few posts I wish I could revise a bit too, grammy97. It's classy to come back on like you did.