Man arrested after pursuit from Milton-Freewater to Lowden


Police arrested a 25-year-old man near Lowden after a lengthy pursuit that started in Milton-Freewater and wound through Walla Walla on Monday evening.

According to a Walla Walla County Sheriff’s report, Eduardo C. Torres, of Milton-Freewater could face multiple felony charges, including attempting to elude police, first degree assault and possession of methamphetamine.

The pursuit began in Milton-Freewater at roughly 7:30 p.m., as Milton-Freewater Police began pursuing Torres north on Highway 11. Walla Walla County Sheriff’s Office Deputies took position to pick up the pursuit as it crossed into Washington where Highway 11 turns into State Route 125.

Milton-Freewater Police continued pursuing Torres, who was driving a black Kia Spectra, as he entered Washington, and deputies prepared to use spike strips to stop the fleeing vehicle.

The first attempt at spiking the car near the labor camp failed. The second and third attempts met with more success, and Torres vehicle suffered two flat tires as he continued north on Ninth Avenue, then east onto Rose Street.

“The driver stopped at several intersections throughout the pursuit before accelerating again to flee from officers,” wrote Deputy Luke Watson of the Walla Walla Sheriff’s Office in his report.

During of the stop-and-go episodes, Torres allegedly struck another vehicle as he accelerated through an intersection. According to the report, Torres then struck a Milton-Freewater police vehicle in the right, rear bumper.

According to the Sheriff’s Office report, Torres continued east on Isaacs Avenue, north on Wilbur, then west on U.S. Highway 12. As he continued to evade police, the tires of the compact car began to degrade, causing control problems for Torres.

The vehicle finally stopped in the middle of Highway 12, just east of Lowden, and, according to Watson, Torres attempted to start the car again. Torres also allegedly made a phone call while police approached the car.

According to the report, Torres ignored multiple verbal commands, and officers finally used a Taser on the 25-year-old through the car’s open window.

“It did not appear to gain compliance,” Watson wrote in his report. “The subject was then removed from the vehicle and assisted to the ground.”

After his arrest, Torres reportedly told police the vehicle belonged to his mother, and he had taken it without permission in order to go to a bar. Then he decided to visit some friends in Walla Walla. Torres also allegedly told police he had just got out of Umatilla County Jail, and that the packet of a crystaline substance officers found was “tiny blue beads to make jewelry.”

Torres was lodged in the Walla Walla County Jail on investigation of attempting to elude a police vehicle, attempted first-degree assault, possession of a stolen vehicle, possession of methamphetamine and third-degree driving while suspended. Bail was set this morning at $75,000.


Questionall 2 years, 8 months ago

He had just gotten out of jail...Was he missing something he needed to go back for? He could have killed someone with his stupid choices. What a loser, I hope he gets a lengthy sentence and rots in jail. One less druggie on the streets!


Sign in to comment

Click here to sign in