Approving Wa-Hi bond is right thing to do

As a Walla Walla College education/math major, I did my student teaching at Walla Walla High School in the spring of 1984.

I remember how crowded the classrooms were at that time. While I spent most of my time in mathematics classrooms, I was also required to visit a number of other classes and classrooms as part of the experience. With all the discussion in this paper and other places about the Wa-Hi bond, I cannot help but recall one particular visit to a Spanish classroom.

I was amazed at how crowded together the desks were. There was hardly enough space to pass between them. I certainly don’t remember exact numbers, but it seems like 40 or more students were packed into a very small space.

This is educationally very unsound. With the students seated so close together it also made it very difficult not to see your neighbor’s answers in testing situations.

I encourage the citizens of Walla Walla to support the bond for the high school. It is the right thing to do. Our young people deserve better.

Don Schafer

College Place

Comments

barracuda 1 year, 2 months ago

Mr. Schafer... I agree... There should be less students per class room! It is over crowded at Wa-Hi. How about over the next 5 years or so, we remove 20-25%...... OH, thats right, we are already doing that! CP's high school bond passed, construction will start this spring!

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

barracuda, respectfully, you don't understand the difference between school population and class size. When a school population drops from 1,850 to 1,500 (19%) class size drops by 0%. The reason is that the state takes away funding for the 12 or so teachers who taught those 350 students. So, classrooms still need to be able to hold 30+ students.

The CP bond will allow most of the kids currently in 16 portables to come into the main buildings, but it not only doesn't change class size, but it also doesn't address the quality of those classrooms (i.e. single-pane windows, exterior doors, no AC, small space, poor electrical, and severe limits on the kinds of science labs that can be performed.)

The CP bond allowed the WW district to drop $10 million from the WW bond by eliminating 10 new classrooms and some other work that had been previously planned. But to repeat, the CP bond does not change class size or classroom quality issues at Wa-Hi at all.

barracuda 1 year, 2 months ago

I didnt see any of these things mentioned in Mr Shafers letter! Thanks so much for filling in the blanks.... Also... Are they planning on laying off "12 or so" teachers? I doubt it....

barracuda 1 year, 2 months ago

If this is so.... This makes it a little more tollerable.... Not much but somewhat...

Doceo 1 year, 2 months ago

Both the number of teachers and administrators will be reduced when the CP high school opens. The number of students enrolled dictates the number of school employees. Some of the reduction in staff will be due to attrition though there could be a reduction in force (RIF) as well. The CP school district is under no obligation to hire any Walla Walla Public School Employees.

I see another letter from a recipient of taxpayer dollars who wants to have a bond that will be paid for by the taxpayer that will be backed up by state funding with taxpayer dollars! Now how can that go wrong unless if everybody runs out of money! About the overcrowded Spanish class - do they not have enrolled limits for classes - maybe they should have re-routed some to the English classroom that was probably empty. You know that English is the official US of A language?

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

namvet, colleges require students to take a foreign language, regardless of the "official US of A language." Its part of getting our kids edumacated.

It's always nice when you pick and choose what you want to answer. You didn't address class limits - they can take classes a different semester to address there education. But nice try.

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

barracuda, do you really understand the difference between school population and class size and why the CP bond doesn't affect the latter? From your response to my explanation, I'm not sure you do. (It was your exclamation point followed by your "thanks so much" that led me to believe you might be going for some sarcasm there.)

barracuda 1 year, 2 months ago

You are perceptive...... Yes... It was a feeble attempt at sarcasm...LOL... I am informed enough to to make this vote about my pocketbook...

That in itself is a good place to start is check your bank account and then vote according to the balance. But it seems that certain people have enough money to blow away and not be concerned about any other citizens lifestyle if they have one.

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

You know, namvet, I'm trying to avoid saying something nasty here. I'll leave it at this: You don't know what is in my bank account. You don't what my family has been through financially over the past few years. I'm not voting for this bond because I can afford it. I'm voting for it because of how much it will cost our kids if it fails. So stop with your foolish assumptions about other people having "enough money to blow away." You are wrong.

Geez - I've read my previous post that I dovetailed into the post from Barracuda and I've read it several times and not once did I see a reference to (fatherof5)? So I guess the ole cliche of "If the shoe fits - - - -". Now if you want to say something nasty go ahead because I believe you are an adult! But you might remember that your previous post has probably gotten some of us tired of your continual propaganda about the children will be under-educated if this new school wasn't built yesterday. So if I'm not addressed I don't bother to read the post but since I have been addressed I have responded. Have a nice day and I will vote on my bank account and you can vote any way you want.

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

You implied that the "yes" votes were coming from people with money to "blow away." This certainly isn't true in my case, nor is it likely true for many who support this bond. You should be careful about making assumptions.

barracuda 1 year, 2 months ago

2 more days.. just 2 more days....

No assuming there - if they don't have the money they wouldn't be voting for the bond - very simple deduction! Some people just like to spend other peoples money.

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

You've got at least $9 per month to spend on your U-B subscription, which is more on average than this bond will cost. By your own logic, you clearly have the money to pay for the bond. You just don't want to put it toward Wa-Hi. Others don't have much excess money, but they prioritize education and will find a way just as they have done before.

After 7 decades of life or 10 years in dog years I center my life around trying to enjoy my own life and not have to worry about spending multiple dollars educating someone else's consumation. When I have to sacrifice to spend money on somebody else you in reference are just a typical progressive liberal that keeps spending spending and more spending and I'm tired of working for the local, state & federal governments and then the education takes another bite out. So I hang my hat on that and if this does pass it won't be long before I have a for sale sign in my front yard.

fatherof5 1 year, 2 months ago

There are also conservatives who believe that after 50 years, and given the condition of the buildings, it is time to fix Wa-Hi for the next couple of generations. You don't have to be liberal or conservative to see when it's time to act. I have good friends from both ends of the political spectrum who are voting 'yes'.

This bond isn't some earmark tossed anonymously into a federal bill. This is our community and these are OUR kids. Even when my own kids graduate, I will still view myself has having a civic responsibility to do right by the next generation. A lot of us feel that way. You say you don't. That's where we differ.