Kerry urges 'strong, credible response' to North Korean nuclear test

Advertisement

WASHINGTON — Speaking to reporters this week, Secretary of State John Kerry made his first remarks about the new nuclear test, which the North Koreans warned the State Department about in advance.

“President Obama made it crystal clear (Tuesday) night and previously in all comments, as have other countries, that North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program are a threat now to the United States of America, because of what they are pursuing specifically, as well as to global security and peace,” Kerry said.

“The international community now needs to come together with a swift and clear, strong, credible response, as pledged in the U.N. Security Council Resolution 2087,” he said.

The now-defunct six-party talks on North Korea’s nuclear program included the United States, China, Japan, South Korea, North Korea and Russia. But Russia’s leaders are the only members of that group with whom Kerry hasn’t spoken this week.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

4 free views left!