Choosing to not vote doesn’t make sense

I was going to write a letter to you (the editor), but I chose not to just like the 10,000 people who didn’t choose to vote.

But then I decided to write to you like the people who actually had enough strength to at least vote no.

I am a fifth-grader at Sharpstein and I would have been one of the first to attend the new Walla Walla High School if the bond would have passed. I really love science, but since the science rooms at Wa-Hi are so out-of-date it would be pointless to use them the way they are.

It is so disappointing that about half of the people in Walla Walla registered to vote didn’t vote.

It would have been OK if people would have voted no because we could have understood why, but if you didn’t vote, it just doesn’t make sense.

Next time, if something big like this comes up, at least vote.

Keenan Wylie

Comments

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

What a great letter you've written, Keenan. I hope you write more letters in the future and urge your friends to try it also, even if they sometimes might hold a different position from yours. It inspires us adults.

I might add that Wa-Hi does have some excellent science teachers who have challenged my kids. So, even though the classrooms are lacking and you won't experience everything that should be offered to you, the faculty will still work hard to get you ready for college and a career in science, if you so choose.

For one I do agree on the not voting society and then complain. Then this student has to ruin his letter by basing his future education (obviously from peer conversations) on his surroundings. Very thoughtless for this student's age. I'm sure that the Master's such as Einstein, Edison, etc. were not hampered or based there future endeavors to let there surroundings hold them back. Where does this student think that he would be better educated unless if he has the incentive to use his intelligence and his own digilence to prepare him for a great future. The students themselves are the only ones that can create the great life that they strive for!

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

Keenan, ignore namvet. Just click on his name and read his past comments. Heck, just read his first sentence a few times. He's trying to lecture you about how to become educated when his own linguistic education seems to have stopped in the 4th grade. Maybe you could teach him the difference between "there" and "their."

Keenan, I've read dozens of comments from namvet. Most of them are semi-coherent, negative in tone, and full of mistakes. Your letter, on the other hand, is the opposite. I've been incredibly nice about avoiding the subject until now, but if namvet, who can't write an error-free sentence to save his life, is going to criticize you for wanting to be educated in a first-class high school, then somebody's got to question who this educational guru is and wonder why his own learning was so lacking. He probably hated school when he was a kid, which is one reason why he won't spend a dime to support public schools.

At any rate, Keenan, you wrote a very nice letter. Ignore the other guy.

ImJustSayin 1 year, 5 months ago

Spare us your white knight lecture. I can't imagine anyone recalling their days as a 5th grader worrying about their upcoming Jr. High stint...much less when they get to High School. This letter was an obvious prompting by "adults" to guilt those who voted "no".

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

I wasn't speaking to you, nor "lecturing" you either, Imjustsayin. Now that you've joined the party, though, I find it interesting how many of you "no" people find a way to inject some sort of conspiracy into your comments. In your case, this letter isn't really from Keenan. From others, the administration wants to remodel Wa-Hi for their self-serving "legacy," or the Board has a secret plan to disregard their public vote giving any extra funds back to the taxpayers, and on and on.

Keenan wrote a thoughtful letter encouraging everyone, both "yes" and "no" supporters, to at least place their votes next time. Namvet called the kid "thoughtless" and proceeded to lecture Keenan (with namvet's poor writing skills in full display) about how to get educated. Namvet deserved to get called out.

You're grammar was quite good, by the way, though the period goes inside the quotation mark on "no." :)

ImJustSayin 1 year, 5 months ago

I learn something new everyday.

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

For what it's worth, I wrote "you're" when I should have written "your." That's unfortunate.

Larch 1 year, 5 months ago

Since grammar came up, "fatherof5", notice where I have placed my comma after your username: outside the quotation mark. The rule is that if punctuation isn't part of the quotation, the writer doing the quoting should place his own punctuation outside the quotation marks. Well done, "ImJustSayin"! (See?)

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry, Larch, but what you are saying is true of exclamation points and question marks, but not periods and commas. Just Google "commas and quotation marks" and you'll find several credible sites that will confirm this (as well as some less credible sites). In America, commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks. In England, however, they do as you described above.

fatherof5 - You spew your stuff as normal but it is a sorry start to a lifetime to start excuses in the 5th grade as to how your going to fail. When did you start in the first grade which shows in your posts. My upbringing and education has been more in the field of hard knocks which it is obvious that your willing to condone these children at the first milestone of failure - OH it was the poor conditions of the school.

To say the least I've been called out by pros but you sir are far from it and still trying to make everybody feel that it is the rest of the world that is wrong. I really feel sorry for somebody that stands on the written posts to be grammar proficient and as you make mistakes I haven't seen anybody condemn them but then nobody is perfect. Obviously!

Maybe you have a problem of comprehending the context of a post?

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

Re-read my initial comment. Did I "condone" failure? No, to the contrary, I told him he could succeed despite the poor science rooms. (Need help comprehending the context of a post?)

Do I "think the rest of the world is wrong?" Nope. The majority voted with me on the bond. I think they were right. I think Keenan is right too.

You and your ilk like to criticize freely and then you take offense when your logic is challenged. You think, "Why is this strange man, who is probably a socialist, challenging me when I publicly and anonymously say unsubstantiated mean things about others?"

Then you think, "He is such an arrogant know-it-all for looking up 'facts' and stuff when we just want to 'believe' that our taxes and inflation are skyrocketing and that this bond will make our school bond rates higher than everybody else's!"

Then you wonder, "And why doesn't this stranger use exclamation points as much as we do!!!"

Namvet, there ARE reasonable and rational people who care about kids and who voted "no" on the bond. You are just not one of them. Together with those people we will find a solution and move forward.

So, neighbor, this is it for me. I complimented a fifth grader for encouraging folks to vote and told him that Wa-Hi has good science teachers. The fact that you initiated an argument over that is my signal that we are done here.

We all make mistakes. You just make so many of them and haven't a clue. As Frost wrote, "He moves in darkness, as it seems to me, not of woods only and the shade of trees." So, why don't you Google that line and let's chat someday ages and ages hence when you understand which character in that poem is you.

briandohe 1 year, 5 months ago

Fatherof5, EXCELLENT response!

fatherof5 - Quote "You and your ilk like to criticize freely and then you take offense when your logic is challenged. " You are pathetic - that street runs both directions bub - your ignorance is exceeded only by your hypocrisy. My post "For one I do agree on the not voting society and then complain." Sounds like I was in agreement. Your post "Did I "condone" failure? No, to the contrary, I told him he could succeed despite the poor science rooms. (Need help comprehending the context of a post?)" My post "Where does this student think that he would be better educated unless if he has the incentive to use his intelligence and his own digilence to prepare him for a great future. " Any similarity between the two posts? Speaking of comprehension maybe you should brush up on yours? I don't know who passed on to make you think that you have become the Grand Wizard of Grammar and the purveyor of truth and wisdom - forget it - it is a hallucination! I personally don't really care if you read or like the way I write my posts and personally don't care. I will continue to post on the context of the letter and much to your chagrin if you don't like what you read move on. You are right that we all make mistakes and your clueless reference certainly describes many of your so called philosophies and worthless posts!

chicoli 1 year, 5 months ago

Congratulations, Keenan! You are a clever young man who is already demonstrating an interest for society, and an inclination for defending good causes in a democratic way. I'm looking forward to see more of your thought provoking letters, and I hope your interest will mobilize your peers to do the same. You've already mobilized these adults to "grammatically" confront each other and so far, none of them seem to be winning. Your letter exudes civility and gentelmanship, values that should be copy by some of these energetic, competing adults.

fatherof5 1 year, 5 months ago

Good comment, paco. I've tried to resist the temptation to slip into the world of negativity and insult that is pretty common on these posts, but after a month of attempting to fight the good fight, I find myself succumbing. Of course, my way of hurling insults is to make a snarky Robert Frost reference and to point out namvet's poor writing skills, but still.... That's why I'm largely exiting this arena for awhile.

I saw on another post where you were called a "cyber bully," which must be because you keep asking people to be civil. How dare you!

Keep it up! I haven't necessarily agreed with the content of 100% of your posts, but I sure appreciate the tone. Also, Keenan did write a nice letter here.

chicoli 1 year, 5 months ago

Fatherof5, don't let anyone get you out of speaking your mind. You have good ideas and many of us appreciate your contributions. I'm looking forward to read your provoking thoughts!

It's really to bad that some people just don't agree with you two and about my writing skills - as I have posted if you don't like it move on! I'm not here to please anybody but express my opinion - short and sweet - do you comprehend that.

chicoli 1 year, 5 months ago

Nope! Your ability to express your opinion, so that others can comprehend you, derives from your good grammar, including your punctuation skills which are frankly not too good. I believe that many of us are willing to ignore your poor writting skills and, in sequitur adopt to chase for your good ideas...if you just eliminate your offensive, snarky remarks. It is evident to me that your interest in social, community events is legitimate and honest, though. Your contributions in this farum are appreciated. And remmember, nobody is perfect, amigo!

Keep writing , my friend!

Thank you paco - I express myself in any way that I feel is necessary such as if you remember the First Amendment. Now if you and father of I don't know how many don't like my posts - as I have said move on - I don't plan on changing any time soon and you boys will be a lot older before I do! And on top of that you might brush up on your grammar yourself along with your partner.

chicoli 1 year, 5 months ago

You got my point, amigo. If you keep doing what you are doing, you will keep getting what you are getting. Sadly your choice! And remmember, nobody is perfect...but don't scream fire in a crowded theater, my friend!

ImJustSayin 1 year, 4 months ago

Twice now you have misspelled "remmember".

chicoli 1 year, 4 months ago

You finally got it, not so other, well versed media addicts! Twice they missed it. Remember, nobody is perfect; I'm just saying, my friend! You meant to say that I misspelled "remember", which is the correct way. This time I gotcha!

Well paco you see I don't write posts to make friends I'm leaving an opinion. Not necessarily the popular opinion - but never the less it is my opinion. I'm not always in the majority but it is my opinion! Thank you very much.