Congress remains broken

Congress remains broken

Last September, I took the time to write and explain that Congress was broken. After my letter was published, I listened to the same old voices, espousing the same old views, and heard nothing but accolades for Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers. And true to form, those on the political right sent her back to Washington, D.C.

Let’s take a look, and see how that is working out for us so far — and she has just started on her new term of office.

How long have we known about the fiscal cliff? Yet, the House of Representatives (and our beloved McMorris Rodgers) couldn’t agree on anything until Jan. 1.

Not just what the president offered (both times), but they couldn’t even agree on what their leadership (Speaker John Boehner) offered as a “Plan B,”,and their solution was to just go home for Christmas, as if they couldn’t care less!

Seems to me that there is a blueprint — Simpson-Bowles — that we could use, but they can’t agree on that either.

Remember our representative talking about how she was raised on a farm, knew how important the Farm Bill is, and the rest of that “election talk?” Remember how Rich Cowan said he wanted to serve on the Agriculture Committee?

Well, you elected the same problem. Congress approved a patch — a nine-month extension of the Farm Bill included in the fiscal-cliff package.

Happy New Year! It maybe a new year, but we have the same old problems and the same old faces, and Congress is still broken!

Bruce McCutcheon

Correction

A letter to the editor by Vern Filan of Walla Walla published Jan, 3 incorrectly stated state law requires a publicly advertised auction to sell property. RCW 28A.335.120 allows property sold for cash at either a public or private sale.

Comments

Bruce you are an amazing progressive liberal - who was it that said they probably wouldn't get to a budget again this year? Senator Patty Murray(Democrat)! Maybe you have a distraction about Ms McMorris Rodgers but she is one of 435 and the senate has Harry Reid - one of the distructive forces of the US of A. Get your facts together!

campbell_rd 1 year, 3 months ago

Excuse me - your statement "How long have we known about the fiscal cliff? Yet, the House of Representatives (and our beloved McMorris Rodgers) couldn't agree on anything until Jan. 1." is a BLATANTLY false statement. The House of Representative sent several bills to the Senate and good old Harry Reid and his Democrat buddies failed to vote on any of them. Then when the Senate did finally act they stuffed tons of special interest perks in for their buddies.

We need a simple rule, no exceptions to bills introduced, especially for members of the Congress and top executives. For example they Democrats jammed through the Obama Care bill, yet it doesn't impact them at all. Also there is a recent study showing that family of Congress don't have to pay back student loans. How insane!

Look at the weird laws we passed here in Washington this year... Sad state of affairs.

Brucemccutcheon 1 year, 3 months ago

I find it interesting that those that have no idea, would comment on this letter. First off, the "fiscal cliff, tax cut Bill, originated in the House, and since they couldn't compromise, the Prez, harry, and Mitch, took the old Bill, gutted it, re worked it, and sent it back to the House for final approval! Yor beloved McMorris Rodgerrs, Boehner, and the gang, approved all of the PORK, without ever saying a word! Tax cuts for "corporate welfare. Then, they claim they didn't know what was in the Bill? $200,000 (plus perks)/year (for 126 days....$1500/day) and they can't read what they vote on? Surley reading, is in their job description! As far as the amendments (pork), it took 2 names. 1 to get the amendment to the floor, 1 to second it) who did it, is still a mystery to me, but I will expose either the Right or the Left. As far as your statement about "Obamacare not affecting Congress, READ THE BILL! wrong again! Interesting Factoid, about Mitch: On the very day debate began on a bill to repeal subsidies to Big Oil, an astonishing $131,500, in campaign contributions passed from the hands of oil donors in Midland, Texas into Mitch McConnell's re-election war chest. 3 days later, the bill failed by filibuster. (after the check cleared?)

Brucemccutcheon 1 year, 3 months ago

Facts. The House passed one Bill, that died in the Senate, and Boehner couldn't even get enough votes for plan B. So, at the last minute, the Senate reworked the House Bill and sent it back to the House for final approval, where Mrs. McMorris Rodgers, Boehner, and Cantor all voted for it, PORK and all. At present, I am trying to find out who offerred the amendments (it took 1 to bring them to the floor, and 1 to second the amendments. Left or Right, I will let you know, if I find out. The House, then said, "But we didn't know what was in the 154 page Bill. They make $200,000 plus perks each year, work only 126 days, and can't read or understand, what they vote on? Surely this is in their job description. Mcmorris Rodgers isn't THE problem, just part of it! Interesting factoid on Mitch: On the vary day debate was to begin on a bill to repeal subsidies To Big oil, an astonishing $131,500 in campaign contributions passed from the hands of oil donors, in Midland Texas into Mitch McConnell're election war chest. Three days later the bill failed by filibuster. Had to wait until the check cleared! And, yes, the Obamacare affects congress, read the Bill! I'm saying that they are all crooks, or at least have their own interests in mind. Wake up, smell the coffee!

Maybe Bruce if you apply you could go to work for the Democratic Caucus for there next uprising! Nancy Pelosi was the one that stated "We have to pass Obamacare to find out what is in it"! Now we are finding out what is in it every day of our lives. There was not one Republican that voted for Obamacare it was jammed through by your illustrous Democrats. So maybe instead of telling others to check there facts go to some websites other than Progressive Liberal rethoric sites to get your facts. I'm beginning to think that you have this infatuation with Ms McMorris Rodgers because she is a miniscule part in this government socialist movement.

Brucemccutcheon 1 year, 3 months ago

It certainly good to see that you do read something. I was discussing the Tax cuts, for the 98%. Everyone of those in Congress, knew of the PORK! But, you seem to be okay with money for Hollywood and NASCAR, but nothing for Social Security and Medicare. It's fine that we pay to raise algae, but not to raise children. I so like the part where you can't attack the facts, just the messenger. Seems to be par for the course. Perhaps you should look up a study that was done by Farliegh University (might check the spelling) where they discovered that those that watch Fox News, are the least informed! As for Ms Congresswoman, I don't like anyone that doesn't do her/his job. She is a blight on the political process, as are those that continue to defend her. As for facts, I will gladly make myself available, to discuss politics over a cup of coffee. But it takes more than Fox News talking points.

carcrazy 1 year, 3 months ago

Brucie, I trust Cathy McMorris Rodgers judgement a thousand times more than I would ever trust you. She is doing the job I voted for her to do and I applaud her for staying the course in light of this corrupt and anti-freedom administration. You can proudly wear your "Union" colors, but I want you to know that AFGE has failed to represent me and my fellow employees time and again. Don't preach to me Bruce, you have no credibility.

Excuse me - you mentioned that you don't like anyone who doesn't do his/her job in Congress (the House & Senate) you must really be upset with Sen Cantwell and Sen Murray? That doesn't come from Fox news that comes from C-Span and congressional websites. I would rather keep this confab at a distance because with your liberal rhetoric I couldn't make it through a cup of coffee!