Assault weapons should be banned?

I called Cathy McMorris Rodgers office to ask about her position on four gun-control issues. I talked to Scott, who was nice if not very informed. Three of the four questions I asked were answered with “I don’t know.”

However, when I asked if she is in favor of banning military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines he said she is not in favor of banning them.

I was stunned, so I asked him to clarify, as I was sure she wants to protect our children and communities from mass killings by people using assault weapons. Scott said she believes there are already laws to protect people and we need to enforce existing laws, not create new ones.

When asked to explain what those laws were, he didn’t know. I asked how the “law” works when anyone can buy an assault weapon at a gun show or from a gun dealer and never have a background check to see that they are competent to own such a weapon.

Again, no answer.

He did say he would write my questions down and give them to Rep. McMorris Rodgers. “You will receive an email.” I asked to please not send a form letter email but a specific answers email.

He said — ready for this? — “I don’t know.” This is representation?

Maybe Scott now has answers and a list of those “laws” that protect us. Call him in Washington, D.C., to find out.

Patricia Bates

Clarskton

Comments

What an amazing feat - 3 letters from supposed different letter writers all addressing Cathy McMorris Rodgers. Now is that coincidence or what? Where is the outcry for the Senators (Murray & Cantwell) to do something? The Senate had to be put on a payroll hold to even get them to pass a budget that hasn't been passed in 4 years. I can see the Progressive Liberal Campaign drags on and on. Don't you people have a life and maybe you should get your facts straight for a change!

ImJustSayin 1 year, 2 months ago

I love how the lefties have jumped on the "assault" tag for I guess......all guns. Ms. Bates, as a gun "expert", what is your definition of a "assault" weapon?

briandohe 1 year, 2 months ago

Thank you for calling our Congresswoman. In December, I called to ask several specific questions about gun control. I finally received a form-letter response via email last week -- and it failed to answer my specific questions. I'm optimistic that once she receives her script from the NRA (along with cash donation), that I'll finally hear from her office.

bj84711 1 year, 2 months ago

I would like to make one point. Everyone buying a gun from a firearms dealer DOES have to have a background check done. EVERY ONE!

bj84711 1 year, 2 months ago

Some people like to shoot for a hobby. Some ride horses or bikes. I suggest we outlaw bicycles that go over 2 mph and horses that are over 5 hands tall so nobody can get hurt falling off of either of them. Sounds a little overboard. Let me take your hobby from you and we will listen to you cry foul. Same difference with guns of any type.

briandohe 1 year, 2 months ago

Cooking and music are my two hobbies. It might be said that my cooking could kill -- put a clarinet in my hands or listen to me sing and I suppose that I could cause a panic in a shopping mall, movie theatre or elementary school.