Walla Walla needs a pool

While recently visiting my home town of Walla Walla I was deeply saddened to hear the Memorial swimming pool is no longer available or in operation.

Growing up in this lovely community in the 1960s, it was an incredible outlet for young kids to take in physical exercise.

Having a community outdoor pool in Walla Walla is vital.

Prior to my birth, my mother was a lifeguard at the Nat (short for the Natatorium). We also had Graybill’s Pool at Kendall and Reser roads, which was located across from my grandparents’ home on Reser Road.

It seems the community has placed more value in the wine business than that of our future generation. Although wine is a great commodity for such a community built on farming and agriculture, I would hope there would be more focus on future generations and ability to share and participate in swimming.

Physical exercise is necessary.

The next time the city gets another fast-food restaurant, I hope people take a look at what is really necessary. Providing kids and families with an affordable outdoor public pool.

I spent my childhood summers at Memorial. I hope the people of Walla Walla and the community can bring back the Memorial pool.

With deep gratitude for having spent the first 12 years of my life in one of the most wholesome cities east of the Cascades, I look back at Main Street from my youth and see the cityscape as taken on a new look. Although I believe in growth necessary for the economic change in respect to farming, I also believe it’s imperative you look at what is available for your future generations.

Keep our kids involved, active and safe. Bring back the public pool(s).

Lezlie Meyers Paul

Flagstaff, Ariz.

Comments

A pool I could agree with but $10 million dollars worth of pool I don't. With streets that need a lot of repairs and other improvements to be taken care of priorities need to take place when the funds are available.

Myinput 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree - $10 mil. From the schools to the city - I'd sure like to see where they come up with their budgets. I am certain I could build or fix Memorial for much less and give the city a pool.

rduran 1 year, 2 months ago

They have two pools at the YMCA.

I wasn't sure if the Y was cost effective for a family or not and if they wanted to cater to a lot of children? Just checking.

rduran 1 year, 2 months ago

It is a little expensive. Our family pays $78/Mo - Family of 6, breaks down to about $13/mo each.

VinoTinto 1 year, 2 months ago

No, it needs to fix its high schools and its streets. A pool would be nice, but there are more important projects to fund right now.

Jo99362 1 year, 2 months ago

There is a public pool for little kids, ages 10 and under, at Jefferson Park. Soon, there will be some new splash pads going in at Washington Park, which is led by community members. If you want something done, get organized and do it. The city can only do so much.

Myinput 1 year, 2 months ago

Splash pads are stupid! They are for kids 6 and under. What do you want the rest of the town to do. Could have spent the $ on the splash pads to just fix Memorial. Doesn't have to be fancy. A pool, diving board, bathrooms, and hot dogs, pretzels, candy, snow cones, and things to drink.

ImJustSayin 1 year, 2 months ago

Maintenance costs.....liability costs....labor costs...... Add those in and you're back to square one with a pool that's too expensive to operate.

Myinput 1 year, 2 months ago

Naaa - it could be done with a tight belt. Splash Pads are stupid, I stand by my opinion. They are only for little kids. Boo!

barracuda 1 year, 2 months ago

I agree WW needs a pool... A pool that has lots of stuff for kids to do and play with.... And a pool that is able to host swim meets, slides and diving boards.
 But, it has to self sustaining, getting its building, operating costs from users. It should not be on the shoulders of all of the tax payers. Many years ago, there were talks etc. to having our taxes (east side of WA.) to pay for a new sports dome/complex for the Mariners/Seahawks in the Seattle area.
 These things should be paid for by the user, or with private funds. Our tax needs are needed else where.